Monday, August 13, 2007

August Blogmeat

I've been looking at my 'statscounter' account, which shows me (among other statistics) the 'keyword searches' which resulted in people finding this website.

Some of these people are probably disappointed when, for example, they search for "Armor Piercing Handloading" they are directed to "Kalifornia's Bullet-Coding Scheme. (Note: the article references Daniel Patrick Moynihan's 1000% tax of ammunition.)

As a service to my readers, I have decided to give these keyword searchers something to satisfy their insatiable quest for really kinky stuff.

Let's start out with something easy: IPSC VIDEOS

Mr. Completely posted a link a couple of years ago to 'lots of IPSC videos', so you can find that here.

Also, Jerry the Geek's Video Shooting Gallery has a TON of videos you can download.

Or, if you're impatient, you can view Jerry the Geek's videos on YOUTUBE.

If you're looking for something about the KaBOOM! Phenomenon (when you're just doing your thing on the range, and your gun blows up!), you can find the article here. Lots of links, including to Dean Spiers. I sure hope I've learned to spell his name right by now.

Looking for loading data for the .38 super, .38 super comp, the hottest 9mm load, or any other caliber? I don't carry it. I load for a small selection of calibers (.9mm, .38 super/super comp, 10mm, 45acp, 22.-250, 25-06, 12 gauge shotgun) and I won't tell you what my loads are because ... your guns may not handle the same pressures my guns do.

However, I will cite a couple of valuable resources you may find useful:

Maas is already on my sidebar, but may be out of date as he quit maintaining the original webpage a few years ago (although you can find this link there), and I need to add Smith as well. Smith, if nothing else, will regale you with morality tales or precautionary war-stories about the consequences of loading too little powder into a cartridge, and has an excellent table providing the relative burning rate of many gunpowder brands and types.

You may find it an interesting coincidence, but a search on "handloading data high power 9mm luger" will direct you to the KaBOOM! page. As does "fastest 9x19 ammunition". I think that is significant.

Curious about the Scherz Shootout Video? Okay, we have it here from the January, 2006 shoot-out in Texas. Note: it's not real.

Is the burning question of your day: Can a 9mm can kill a bear?

You may find a reference here, but the short answer is:

NO WAY, DUDE! DON'T EVEN TRY!

At best, you'll end up with a pissed-off bear who knows to 'follow the sound of the cannons' as Napoleon once said.

Interested in Red Shirt Fridays? The search may lead you here, but be warned that my concept may not match yours.

"Cleaning the 1911" and "Putting the 1911 back together" will both lead you here. There are a lot of good resources on the Internet, and I stole most of what I wrote. But it's a central place to look for links, so give it a try.

Darrion Holiwell links can be found here, and my contribution is here. Or you can go directly to the link which shows him shooting the 2005 Croc Match, but the file is damaged and you can't see him actually shooting the stage. Too bad, it was a good run.

Okay, I need to do something with the link but here is the real link where you can see Darrion shooting "The Doors". Looking good ... "Powerful Stuff" ... Darrion. It's a download, you can save the file for future reference.

Looking for "Reactive Targets"? Talk to Bobby Wright of "Wrights Reactive Targets" (aka "R&R RACING")

Finally, a search on "how to figure out your classifier in USPSA" provides a link to one of my very first articles (and my favorite ISPC picture of all times) here.


UPDATE: 14 April, 2008
The Ohio Classifier Percentage Classifier link is obsolete. see here for the current link.

But my recommendation, if what you really want to do is to determine how your hit-factor places you in the USPSA classifier algorithm, you should look at the Ohio Classifier Percentage Calculator, which is included as a link in my sidebar just below "Enter your USPSA number in the box below to check your classification (opens in a new window)".

No comments: