Wednesday, December 23, 2015

What the hell is "Safe Hollow Ammunition"?

I just found this .... curious .... terminology in a Daily Caller article (see below) by reputable author Alan Korwin (see citation below).

It is an interesting article, and starts by examining the basis of the theme (KORWIN: America’s Real Gun Problem - The Gun Myths | The Daily Caller:) with a comprehensive enumeration and discussion.   Overall, a pithy and entertaining essay.

Toward the end of the article, I ran into this paragraph:
The Off-Duty Officer Myth: Off duty or retired LEOs, if given national freedom to carry, particularly outside their jurisdiction, will mistakenly shoot innocent civilians and cost cities billions in liability. Proven false. When the LEOSA act passed in 2004, after multiple failed attempts, every honorable former and current peace officer gained the ability to carry discreetly nationwide (a precursor for the public’s similar right,which hasn’t yet materialized). Further law was needed to let officers carry safe hollow ammunition, to which some jurisdictions ignorantly raised objections
I admit, I'm not any kind of authority.  I'm 70 years old, got my first rifle at age 10, killed my first deer at 13, my first antelope at 18, etc.  Platoon Sgt in Vietnam.  And yeah, competition shooter for over 50 years blogging here for 7 years this month.   But I have never heard the term SAFE HOLLOW AMMUNITION.

I first thought thought it might be a simple un-noticed typographical error; but the phrase "safe HOLLOW" instead of "HOLLOW-POINT" threw me.   How could that slip through the final draft of a professional writer?

I goggled the term, received links to the same article at FIVE different websites (one of which was a broken link) and checked the comments; nobody else seems to have been confused enough to follow up on the terminology.

So here I am at the court of public opinion, requesting assistance from the greater experiential database of my mulliions (sic) of dedicated readers.

What the HELL is SAFE HOLLOW AMMUNITION?????


Alan Korwin is the author of 14 books, 10 of them on gun law. His book After You Shoot examines ways to lower your risks after a self-defense shooting. He has been invited twice to observe oral argument in gun cases at the U.S. Supreme Court. Reach him at GunLaws.com, where he is the publisher of Bloomfield Press.

3 comments:

Anonymous said...

Now that is a puzzlement. I don't know. If you find out, please let your readers know what "safe hollow ammunition" is. It sounds like a New Jersey thing, that is a state that I think basically banned hollow point pistol ammo.

MuddyValley said...

I'm pretty sure it was a typo. The proofreader didn't see the 'point' in reading it carefully. Pun intended.

Archer said...

@Anonymous: NJ bans "dum-dum" rounds, which is commonly understood to be hollow-point ammunition. To my knowledge, the phrase "hollow-point ammunition" (or any derivation thereof) doesn't appear anywhere in NJ law.

Which just shows the fallacy of writing vaguely-worded laws and relying on interpretations, if you ask me.