Wednesday, June 18, 2014

My Cell Phone is Smarter Than I am. I hate that!

At random intervals .. from once a day to once every two weeks .. my cell phone BEEPs me.

There are never any incoming emails.  No Text Messages. A total dearth of input.  But the phone BEEPs me, anyway.

The GEEK explanation is that I don't  understand the power of the Smart Phone, which is true.  But am I the Only One who is arbitrarily harassed by his Android?


The PSYCHOTIC  explanation is that the phone doesn't BEEP me; I'm just depressed because nobody else seems to call, or write, and I imagine it BEEPs me because I'm Too hungry!

My PERSONAL explanation is that it's lonely, because  I neither get nor give traffic;  I detest phones, which (in my opinion) are present for my convenience, not for the convenience of others.  Which is probably wrong, because most of my actual calls are from strange people whom I've never met.

So I'm wondering ... is a Smart Phone like one of those electronic key-chain games, which you have to 'feed' regularly or it will 'die'?   Thereby laying a great burden of guilt because you aren't a good parent?

And I wouldn't mind the BEEPs which come at 3:15 am if there was some other insomniac idiot on the line who just needs someone to talk to.  (I'm pretty good about ignoring people, as my ex-wife would confirm.)  but answering a BEEP when I don't even get to hear the anonymous white-noise which I was accustomed to --- that's a bit scary.


Maybe my Smart Phone knows that I hate it.  Is this Revenge ON The Nerds?

"Last night I met a man upon the stair,
A Little Man who was not there.
He was not there again today;
Oh how I wish he'd stay away!"

I connected my Smart Phone to my computer the other day, to download some pictures.  Apparantly, I completed the data transmission  quickly enough (using google+) that my SmartPhone wasn't able to hand-shake my connection.  Otherwise, this article I'm writing woudn't be able to be intercept when I started talking about the really EVIL things that my smartph.... [!BEEP!]





2 comments:

MuddyValley said...

I have cell phone, it is not a smart phone. It is almost always off.

Anonymous said...

My cell phone is not a smart phone, and it mostly lives in my truck. I do not carry it with me.
Antipoda