Sunday, August 24, 2008

Is this GEEK enough for you?

I was getting ready for bed, emptying the pockets , and looking down on the contents of the nightstands it occurred to me that these were the pockets of a Geek.

Whoa! Who knew?

Some of you may think that the appellation of "Jerry The Geek" is a pejorative term, but I so named myself 12 years ago and I have never found reason to reject the nomenclature. Witness the contents of my pockets ... the stuff that I carry EVERY day.


In fact, these objects (along with my keys) are my SHTF objects. I can get into my car and my home, where more GEEK stuff is stashed in case I really, really need it. But that's the context of another, very much overworked meme.

Here's the inventory of what I carry in my pockets every day:

  • Moneyclip: includes analog battery driven clock, cash, and all credit/identity cards (including Concealed Handgun License)
  • Cigarette lighter, small version (I smoke, but this is also useful for 'other purposes)
  • Small knife, very sharp, one locking blade
  • Small LED flashlight
  • Cell phone: this is my only phone, I have no 'landline'. All of my contacts are here. Also GPS capable; Blackberry capable (but not activated); backup watch.
  • At LEAST one Flash Drive. It's only coincidence that I have two with me today, but I have all of my computer signons and passwords (all encrypted) here.


A note about the proliferation of Flash Drives:


A few years ago I bought a Cruzer Flash Drive, my first, with a capacity of 256k for about $35.
Two years ago I bought a 1GB Flash Drive for just under $100.
A few months ago I bought the 2GB Flash Drive (seen here) for $9.95. I bought two.
Two weeks ago I bought the 8GB Flash Drive (seen here) for $28.95. I bought two.
Friday, I found another 8GB Flash Drive at TigerDirect.Com for under $25.

I hadn't yet unwrapped my second $28.95 8GB Flash Drive.

It's axiomatic in Geekistan that as soon as you buy Computer Stuff, it is obsolete.

But my 2GB Flash Drive holds 95% of My Music, which was loaded to my personal computer from CDs that I bought. Any three of the 80+ CDs in that directory cost more than did the 8GB Flash Drive, which now holds the entire directory ... plus a backup copy of my current "big" programming project from work, plus another work-related file folder. And it is still not full.
________________________________

This is a First Generation MEME. I've sent it out to a dozen bloggers. Let's see how geekish THEY are.

No comments: