Thursday, August 28, 2008

"Do you eat a special breakfast?"

The Executioner's Song

Saudi Government-Appointed Executioner for Mecca, Abdallah Al-Bishi, Discusses His Calling and Demonstrates His Weapons and Methods



The Middle East Media Resource Institute [MEMRI.ORG] translates a Saudi Television interview with the Official Executioner of Saudi Arabia.

Quotes taken from the (abridged) transcript:

Reporter: Abu Bader's swords have cut off a hundred heads and more. His eldest son, Badr, is training in the same profession. He inherited this profession from his father, Sa'id Al-Bishi. He remembers how, when still a small boy, he accompanied him to the beheading of a criminal in Mecca. That sight, Abu Badr says, was the turning point in his life.

Abdallah Al-Bishi: I was at school, and an execution was set for my father in Mecca. It was to take place in front of the King Abd Al-'Aziz Gate. Before all that happened at the Al-Haram Mosque, the executions were held there. We showed up. I was a little boy. The first thing that came to my mind when people talked about executions was the digestive system. I wanted to see it. At that time, we had an exam at school on the digestive system, and we had to explain about the digestive system and whatever... So I came along, and the moment my father executed the man, I ran to see the digestive system, but all I could see was the man's head flying, and where the neck used to be, there was a kind of well. It went down. That's it. I couldn't take it anymore. I woke up in the car on the way home. At night, I tried to go to sleep, but couldn't. I had nightmares, but only once. Then I got used to it, Allah be praised.


and ....

First TV host: Abu Badr, what time do you get up? Do you eat a special breakfast? All these details are very important to us.
Abdallah Al-Bishi: I cannot elaborate on the work itself. On the personal level, I am very normal. I get up in the morning, pray the Al-Fajr prayer. My breakfast is prepared, and I eat it. Allah be praised. I wait for the police car to pick me up, and I go to work. It's all very normal. I finish the job, and go home. It's all very normal.

MEMRI TV is an independent organization which translates Middle-Eastern television shows to English, and then posts the result to the internet.

I selected this video for presentation here, because I wanted to depict the great cultural differences between America and our very strong allies, Saudi Arabia.

No executions are depicted on this video, and it should be considered SFW (Safe For Work).

However, it is often more revealing at levels beyond the obvious.
For example, one of the reporters is a beautiful woman. As she asks The Executioner about his work (which he describes as his "mission"), she smiles.

Second TV host: Abdallah, what was your most difficult beheading? Have you ever beheaded someone you knew?
Abdallah Al-Bishi: Yes, I have beheaded many people who were my friends, but whoever commits an offense brings it on himself.


... she continues to speak, and smile. But when The Executioner begins to speak, she shuts up immediately and turns into a poker face.

She recognizes this person as a killer, and becomes a very still, small mouse in the corner.

In America, we hear much from Feminists who shrill that America is Chauvinist and repressive.

They have no idea. THIS ... is the face of repression.

No comments: