Wednesday, June 04, 2008

Dillon Precision Dies

I like Dillon Precision Products, Inc.

I like the equipment they make. I like their 'No-BS' Warranty. And I like their customer service, including their technical help.

I'm a klutz, so I should like Dillon because the folks there take care of me when I screw up their un-screw-up-able machinery.


I've told you before about the problems I have with bending decapping pins. It doesn't matter who makes them, I can bend them. Most frequently, I bend them because small pieces of gravel get stuck inside the .38 Super cases when the brass hits the ground, and they become so lodged that they don't shake out when I tumble the brass.

The result is that what I assume is the normal resistance you feel when you're punching a primer out of a fired case and, at the same time full-length sizing the case, metering powder into the previous case, seating a bullet into the case before that and crimping the case before that ... well, that 'resistance' is sometimes the natural result of a thin pointy thing (the decapping pin) meeting an immovable object (the gravel thing).

It doesn't take much lateral pressure to bend a decapping pin, and the only way to fix it is to replace the pin.

Hence, my problem of the week: I've replaced so many Decapping pins that the threads have been stripped on both the "Decapping Shaft" and the "Retaining Cap". (I had to search the Dillon website to find the nomenclature on their Dillon Die Instructions pdf. You can find it in their online list of manuals.)

After the Decapping die for my .38 Super became unusable, I applied the 'easy fix' of yanking the innards out the Decapping die for my 10mm (they're the same parts) and went on reloading.

Did I take the obvious, basic precaution of ordering replacement parts? That would be reasonable, and sensible, but I did not.

It was only after I had bent so many Decapping pins from that parts group that the threads were stripped on it, too, that I realized I absolutely, positively, needed to get new parts. I couldn't reload any brass that had a firing pin.

(Actually, I reloaded another 500 rounds of new, unprimed Winchester .38 Super brass without the decapping pin. This is not a good idea, because every now and then you will run across new brass where the flash hole, between the primer pocket and the chamber of the case, has not been completely cleared. This can cause imperfect ignition, even insufficient ignition of the powder. This can cause a squib, and a squib can cost you a new barrel. See Evil Bill's Glock KaBOOM! here, and here, and especially here, for a similar result.)

Looking in the Dillon Catalog, and the online Dillon resources, I discovered that you can't find a parts number for the things that go inside a reloading die. Sure, you can order a new die, but I didn't need that.

So I got onto the "Write Dillon" page of their website and sent them an email. I explained my problem:

I have Dillon Carbide Pistol dies for both 10mm/40S&W and 9mm/38 Super. When replacing bent/broken decapping pins, I'm [sic] managed (through my own incompetence) to screw up the threads on the Decapping Shaft and/or the Retaining Cap for these two dies.

I need replacements (a set of 3 ... I'll do it again, I need a spare) for both the Decapping Shaft and the Retaining Cap.

These appear to be the same dimensions for both, and if they are not this may be part of the reason why I have screwed them up.

If they're different, I need one for 10mm/40S&W and two for 9mm/38 super. Most of my current reloading (90%) is .38 super, and replacing the internal parts for this caliber is my priority.

Please tell me how to order replacement parts.
There's a check box where you can specify whether you would like to receive a response by phone or email, and I checked 'email'. Sent the note, and settled back to wait.

It took a couple of days before I got their answer. It was shorter than my request:
No charge part(s) on the way via US mail and will take about 3 to 5 days. All the pistol decap assemblies are the same.

Thank you,

Dillon Precision Products, Inc.
Jeepers! I hadn't expected them to actually send the parts. All I wanted was the parts numbers.

I received the shipment in the mail today, which may have been sitting in my mail box for a couple of days.


They had not only put it all on Warranty, at no charge to me ...
they had not only not charged me for shipping and handling ...
they had not only sent me replacement decapping pins, although I didn't ask for them ...
they actually sent me the two replacements PLUS an extra of everything!

(Click on the image for a full-size picture and to see the bill of lading.

I'm not only astonished, I actually feel guilty. I feel like I've taken advantage of their good and kindly nature.

Darn right I did!

The only thing I can do in response is to thank them in the most material way I can, and that is to offer this advice to you, a potential Dillon customer:

If you're thinking about buying reloading equipment or components, shooting equipment (holsters, belts, eye or ear protection, etc.) go look at what Dillon has before you make your final decision.

You may not find exactly what you're looking for; I don't always, so I don't always buy from Dillon.

But if they have what you need, I encourage you to consider buying from Dillon. They support the sport, they have good stuff, and their warranty and customer service is truly superior to any company with which I have every done business , with the exception of STI.

No comments: