Thursday, June 05, 2008

Books: Vince Flynn

My friend, The Hobo Brasser, loaned me a book a couple of weeks ago.

So far, this free book has cost me about fifty bucks, and I am fated to spend twice that amount in the next couple of years.

The book was "Consent to Kill", by Vince Flynn. It's a 'thriller' and the main character is Mitch Rapp. (This was the 8th of 9 books in the series ... so far.)

Rapp is described as an "assassin for the CIA". Although the author has no military or governmental experience, he has managed to capture the reader with "insider" information about "secret" stuff, which has been promulgated within the more secretive governmental agencies.

Really. Read the details on Flynn's website. You can believe as much of that as you will.

Getting back to the theme, as soon as I read what turned out to be the 8th of 9 books in the series, I had no choice but to buy as many of the books as I could find in my local Used Books Store.

Last week I went to Borders Book Store, where I bought the books I couldn't find "used": the 7th, and also the 9th in hardbound.

The tenth will be out in October of 2008, and at least four more books are promised in the series.

This is going to cost me, because I unwisely give the first book in the series to SWMBO. She let it sit on her coffee table for a week, while she finished her current Nora Roberts book, and then instead of picking up the J.A. Vance book which was missing from our collection until I went to the Used Book Store, she picked up the Flynn book.

I received an email from her two days ago: she's Hooked on Flynn. Now I have no choice but to buy every Flynn book as it comes out (God grant him a painless death, but soon, for the sake of my pocketbook.)

Wait, it gets worse.

I thought that Lee Child had achieved literary thermodynamic equilibrium, but I've just learned that he has another "Jack Reacher" book out, as of June 3, 2008. The title is "Nothing to Lose", and it was released two days ago.

God help me, I ordered the book tonight.

It should be delivered to me early next week.

Expect Light Blogging from me next week.

Note to The Hobo Brasser: I will not lend this book to you for six months. If you can't wait, either buy your own copy ($14 from Amazon), or amuse yourself by reading the Tom Kratman and Michael Z. Williamson books I sent you last month.

I am that angry that you hooked me on another excellent author. Like I needed the distraction. (What other new authors do you have that I haven't discovered yet?)

Oh yeah, I forgot to mention: John Ringo has another book out in August.

Sixty years ago, when I was 3 years old, my mother convince me to let her pull my loose tooth with the promise that she would read me a book. I did, and she did, and it hurt me. At that moment I decided that I would learn to read my own darn books as soon as I could, so I would never again suffer the pain of allowing some other person to determine what books I could read.

Apparently, I didn't learn the lesson as well as I thought I had.

No comments: