Tuesday, May 03, 2016

The Guantlet

2 Times I Was Glad I Had A Gun:

It was around 4:30pm and I walked to the bathroom and noticed a car in the parking lot. It was a white Honda accord with no plates and 5 people in hoods sitting in the car. I instantly thought something was off and heightened my awareness but went about my business. Around 4:45 I was starting to lock everything up and I went and peaked out a window to see if the car was still there, it was.
Dealing with a Perceived Threat: 

Peter had a problem.  Working at the office in an otherwise empty building, he saw some people loitering in the parking lot.  His was the only car in the lot.  He felt intimidated, and probably a little frightened.

He finished his work, and the group was still there.  Waiting, it seemed to him, for the owner of the lone car to come out.

He had several choices; he chose to leave the building and, on the way to his car, contrived to 'casually' display his concealed handgun in a way which was just barely "Brandishing".  He did not draw his weapon.

That worked.  The five men got into their car and left.

The comments on Peter's story lean heavily to the "Why Didn't You Call The Police?" side.

Perhaps he should have.  Maybe he just got lucky.  Possibly, potential attackers are inclined to fade away when they discover that their 'soft target' wasn't so soft, after all.

And maybe the five strangers finished their cigarettes and decided it was time to get back on the road if they wanted to get to Disneyland before it closed for the night.

EWWWWWWWW ...

Perhaps he should have have chosen the option which the comments are full of ("Why didn't you call the police?").   Maybe they're right; maybe it was a dumb stunt for Peter to actually go about his business without seeming to be intimidated.  Maybe he DID risk his life, for no good reason.



"I believe my handgun saved my life last night and without it even leaving my waistline."

Peter is just a little bit proud of himself.   
And I think he should be.   

It's easy to shrink from the perception of impending violence.  We are told, and usually accept, that avoidance of a threat is the best way to avoid the violence. 

Sometimes, that doesn't seem to be the best option.  Should we allow ourselves to be intimidated?   Isn't that just encouraging them  (the Goblins, as Colonel Jeff Cooper termed them) to continue their intimidation of a peasceful Society?

I'm not sure if that's the approach I would have taken; Peter did, after all, stand up to the Goblins who haunt our society today.

One thing I AM sure of:   
Colonel Jeff Cooper would have approved.

Read more: http://www.ammoland.com/2016/05/2-times-glad-armed/#ixzz47em7sFH9
Under Creative Commons License: Attribution
Follow us: @Ammoland on Twitter | Ammoland on Facebook



No comments: