Sunday, April 03, 2016

Sanctity of the home

No, you can’t carry concealed weapons into our child-proofed, gun-free home - The Washington Post:  (March 15, 2016)

My curious children freely play in a home environment I have worked hard to ensure is safe. To that extent, I am adamant about keeping guns outside our doors.
This mother has strong opinions on the measures which are necessary to protect her children.  I don't blame her.   I don't even disagree with her.   My family wasn't raised that way (there were ALWAYS guns in our homes) but that has nothing to do with the way she wants to raise her family.

But looking at the comments attached to the article, it appears that a lot of people take their disagreement personally.  Some folks went as far as to say "why don't you put a gunfree zone sign on your door and see what that gets you?" or words to that effect.

Apparently, the old Heinlein mantra that "An Armed Society Is A Polite Society" isn't valid when anonymous trolls spill their guts online.

The whole population of civilian firearms owners are tarnished by this kind of vicious response.   The author of the article will not only keep firearms out of her home, but people who own firearms will now seem dubious to her.

It does no good for us to say "hey, that guy is not representative of our community".

I tought another firearms class yesterday, and I was impressed by the humanity and good nature of the 'new friends' I was privileged to meet.

I wish I could have introduced them to the author.   She deserved the opportunity to meet the true face of our Band of Gun Nuts.

2 comments:

Anonymous said...

I doubt you will change her mind. It is made up, guns are evil. She is ruled by emotion, not facts.

Jerry The Geek said...

No, she is ruled by her concern for her family. I wouldn't try to change her mind. Have you ever met a Grizzly bear with cubs?