Saturday, December 19, 2015

America has a "Masculinity Problem"? Who knew?

America’s gun problem has everything to do with America’s masculinity problem - Quartz:

And for many men today, it’s an identity in particular need of cementing. In this May 2015 op-ed for The Los Angeles Times, sociologist Jennifer Carlson argues that men are clinging to guns as a way to address a broad range of social insecurities. Author of a book on the social practice of gun-carrying in America, Carlson found that gun owners often characterized their fathers’ generation as an era when men had important roles to play as providers and breadwinners.
I'm not sure of the definition of ".. a Masculinity Problem".  It sounds to me like the definition of "Assault Rifle".  It's left up to the people who care what either is, to define it.

Me?  I've been shooting for fun and competition for sixty years now, and I still don't know what an Assault Rifle is.  (I may or may not have carried one in Viet Nam .. if you consider an M70 Grenade Launcher an "Assault Rifle".)

Frankly, I don't give a damn.

I don't currently own a magazine-fed semi-automatic rifle unless you include the nifty little gizmo which takes the 1911 lower and allows me to shoot .45acp through a carbine.  So maybe that's an Assault Rifle .. except I always thought that the term "Rifle" included a rifle-caliber cartridge.

But what do I know?

And what do "they" know, the fine folks at "QUARTZ"  (see the link at the top of the page).

Masculinity?  I've always been a string-bean ... tall and skinny.  Except now I've got this pot belly that suggests if I quit eating past and drinking cheap Canadian whisky, I could get back to my preferred weight of "under 220 pounds".

Oh, and nobody has bothered to define the term "Gun Problem", either.

It's like the old joke:
"Drinking Problem?  I drink, I get drunk, I fall down and go to sleep.  No problem!"

Oh .. wait!  I'm getting a vibe from Moms Demanding Attention.

I see ... that means that people with guns are shooting people who don't have guns.


Well, that's not a problem.
Except for the people who don't have guns.

I'm not going to suggest a solution for them; it's a free country, and you're all adults, so you can decide for yourself what you should do if you fear that someone would shoot you with a gun.

As for "masculinity problems" ... I don't know what to say about that, except that I assume that the category of "men" includes the presence of a penis.

No, I wouldn't know how to advise men on what to do with their guns.   And I neither know, nor care, nor WANT to know what their "masculinity problem" might be.

America!   It's time to Man Up!

QUARTZ says so, so it must be true.

5 comments:

Mark said...

I/m still trying to find a gun as big as my dick!

Jerry The Geek said...

Derringer?

Anonymous said...

Just a bunch of "bitter clinger". Our Dear Leader identified the problem prior to the 2008 election. Please note that by their own admission, liberals seldom have masculinity problem.

Anonymous said...

It has be obvious for decades to anyone that bothered to look.

Anonymous said...

Democrats have always known that they are the stud horses of American politics.