Saturday, February 16, 2013

TCGC Sniper Match; Feb. 2013

In the midst of all the hoo-rah about TCGC (Tri-County Gun Club) policy changes, I have to give credit to their "Tactical Rifle" program.

I've never competed in one of their matches.  I'm too wimpy.  Well, and it's not an inexpensive sport.  Seeing that I'm a much better rifle shot than I am a pistol shooter, I'm sure I would get hooked.  And who wants to spend his Saturdays squirming in the mud, lining up at 4" plates at over 500 yards distance?

Humph!

Apparently, on the 2nd Saturday of February, 2013, there were 53 hardy souls (not all of them guys) who were willing to do just that.

I won't name names  (in accordance with my own blogsite policy) without permission expressed or implied by the individuals, but I've been subscribed to their results email list for years.  So I DO have the results, and will NOT publish them here.  If you shot the match, you know who you are; if you didn't, it's none of your business who were the four bold shooters in the Annual Sniper Match who "took the bait ... and made the shot!"  Apparently, the Match Director deliberately included an optional shooting challenge which he knew was too challenging, and even he was impressed by the results.

Maybe I'm not that good a rifle shot, after all.  I know I can make that shot at 400 yards (or could 20 years ago ... perhaps ... by accident), but 500 yards is an entirely different kettle of fish and I am SO envious at snipers who can take that shot ... and make it!

If it's not obvious, I'm pretty jazzed up about long-gun shooters who meet and exceed that level of competition.   If you think it doesn't take discipline, experience, practice, technical expertise and a lot of sheer guts to do what they do every month, then you're not at all qualified to judge them.

And I wasn't kidding about wallowing in the mud; I've been to their range, I've watched them shoot.  That was when I decided that this Tactical Rifle thingie was "Not For Me!"

For those who don't know what we're talking about here is a video of really GOOD snipers who hit a pepsi can at over a half a mile (895 yards, to be exact)!




1 comment:

Anonymous said...

That sounds like it would be a lot of fun and not involve a lot of doing the run dodge and jump. Sell your STI and have a good rifle built for yourself.
Antipoda