Sunday, November 01, 2009

Calendar pokes fun at Mormon mom stereotype

The Associated Press: Calendar pokes fun at Mormon mom stereotype

I'm ... not really certain how to report on this subject, delicately.

I have several Mormons in my family, and while I don't necessarily agree with the constraints of their religion I respect their beliefs. I don't mind the "No Television" part, but "No Smoking" and "No Drinking" are a direct assault on my personal life-style. I admit I would be a better man if I observed these restrictions, but it probably ain't gonna happen. (There was a time in my youth when I admired, but was unable to accept, the precepts of B'nai B'rith ... but the same problems arose. Probably due to same problems which made this raised-Baptist boy a functional agnostic.)

Okay, there's probably no way to "report on this subject, delicately". Let's just see what reportage is already available:

SALT LAKE CITY — The latest installment of a calendar series that pokes fun at Mormon stereotypes is putting a twist on motherhood.

The "Hot Mormon Muffins: A Taste of Motherhood" calendar features 12 mothers who claim membership in The Church of Jesus Christ of Latter-day Saints in vintage pinup picture poses. Each month also has a muffin recipe.

It's a companion piece to "Men on a Mission," the three-year series of calendars that featured 12 male church missionaries who doffed their signature white shirts.

Last year, a dustup over the calendar ultimately cost its creator, Las Vegas entrepreneur Chad Hardy, his membership in the church and his diploma from the church-owned Brigham Young University.

Hardy said the projects are designed to shake up stereotypes that paint Mormons in general as stuffy or hyper-conservative and mothers in particular as homemakers from another era.

"For Mormons, the most holy calling next to missionary work is motherhood," said Hardy. "But they're not all the subservient housewives that people think they are."

Church spokeswoman Kim Farah declined to comment on the calendar Monday.

Here are some of the videos available through the website "Hot Mormon Muffins".
Episode 5: Every Muffin a Missionary:

Episode 7: Mormon Muffins for TV Dinners:

I'm re-thinking my earlier decisions vis-a-vis conversion.

No comments: