Tuesday, July 12, 2005

The Sight: M1911-A1

"Hello. My name is Syd and I can't stop writing."
Welcome to the world of Syd Weedon, who just happens to have a life-long affection for the Model 1911.

Many of us share Syd's appreciation of John M. Browning's finest contribution to Western Civilization, but few of us express it so well, or in so many forums. Or for so long.

I've never met Syd, but I'm going to talk about him for a while as if he was an old, dear friend. In a way, because I've been reading his work for several years, that's just what he is.

I ran an Internet search on "M1911" a few years ago (1997, specifically). Number 1 and Number 2 hits were John Caradimas' excellent M1911 Pistols Home Page . Number 3 hit was The Sight's M1911 .45 acp Page, the internet home of Syd.

Here I found as much information about the M1911 as I could hope. Descriptions, history, legend and lore ... it's all here.

I kept coming back to visit Syd, answered his perennial survey (he mentioned compiling the results into some kind of report, but I haven't yet found it on his website ... a work in progress?), checked out his bookstore, and answered questions I didn't even know I had.

I even learned when when my own M1911 was built. (It's a "US ARMY" model, built by Colt sometime between January, 1913, and August 19, 1913.)


Free Image Hosting at www.ImageShack.us

Eventually, I subscribed to Syd's newsletter. This is a monthly (approximately) collection of news articles generally relating to RKBA issues. It shows the headline or topic and an Internet Address (URL) which you can use to select and then read the entire text of the article at the original source. Sometimes, Syd includes some commentary; once in a while, the newsletter is mostly or even completely personal commentary.

Last month, after all of these years of commenting in a newsletter, Syd started a regular blog. He named it "Front Sight, Press". Well, of course; what could be a better name for a blog based on pistol shooting?
I'm delighted to report that he included the full text of his newsletter in his July 9 article.

For your convenience, and for mine, I've included the URLs for both the original webpage and his blogsite in my sidebar.

Not that this is ALL of Syd's writings. You can link to Syd's Page" , which in turn includes a link to his journal, and a BUNCH of other stuff (which I intend to spend the rest of the evening catching up on.)

[Whew!]

The Journal was the source of the quote I started out with, and I like it so much that I ought to steal it:

"Hello, my name is Jerry the Geek and I can't stop writing."

Nope. Just doesn't work as well as stolen property.

No comments: