Monday, July 11, 2005

Going Postal!

A while back, I was looking for PNW (Pacific North West) gun bloggers, and I did find a few of them. You'll find links to their blogs on the sidebar, and I recommend you visit them often.

Today, I got an email from Phil at Random Nuclear Strikes. He reports that he and Mike at Mr Completely are setting up a series of Postal Matches, and invite you to participate.

Apparently you don't have to be a gun-club officer who is willing to schedule a special match every week. If you have access to a range (who doesn't?), a computer (to download match descriptions and report results) and a gun-safe or secure closet filled with dusty ol' guns, here's a reason and an opportunity to get some range time.

One week you'll be shooting a rifle, the next a shotgun, the next a pistol, and the following week you might be shooting Black Powder.

Don't have a Black Powder rifle? You've got friends, doncha? Find out who has one, and invite them along ... then borrow their equipment.

Here's the drill, as I understand it:
Go to the listed sites (more later) and find out what next week's postal match looks like. Download and print the targets. Grab a few friends and a few guns, go to the range and shoot the targets. Send the results into what for lack of a better word we'll call "Postal Match Central". Then keep an eye out for the results, and figure on spending a lot of time exercising your Braggin' Rights.

Phil (also known as "The Analog Kid") sent me some links, so here is more detail:

Phil has an introduction to the whole match schtick here.

The match specs for the 7/11 match are here.

Just to make it more interesting, Phil ... er, sorry, "The Analog Kid" ... sent a link to a photo of his new Darth Vadar shotgun. I suppose I'm stealing his thunder, but I'm a sucker for Gratuitous Gun Pictures, a la Kim de Tuit.

Free Image Hosting at www.ImageShack.us
(Click on pictures for hi-res image)

If you decide to play with the e-postal guys, do us all a favor and tell them that Jerry the Geek sent you. That's the only way we're gonna know if this blog is getting the message out to the people who are interested in this kind of games.

NOTE:
For Oregon shooters, I have TWO good black powder rifles, including a .45 caliber Hawkens and a .50 caliber something-or-other, and would be willing to loan 'em out to people I know. In fact, if some local folks act interested, I'd kinda like to try this out myself! Here's a picture of the Hawkens.

Free Image Hosting at www.ImageShack.us

2 comments:

Anonymous said...

Well, I don't have a black powder rifle, and I'm in Hillsboro... If I can get my kentucky rifle kit put together before they do any black powder rifle shoots, I may invite you to a range session. I'll drive down there, of course...

If they do a black powder pistol shoot, I have a Ruger Old Army black powder revolver, and I'd be willing to let you use it for the shoot... Only fair to reciprocate...

You can email me at freddyboomboom -at- gmail -dot- com.

Anonymous said...

I meant to say, if I can't get my Kentucky rifle kit put together in time...

Silly rabbit, tricks are for prostitutes...