Sunday, July 10, 2005

Blog Errors on IE

Mr Completely said...

The photo is messing up how your blog displays when you are viewing with Internet Explorer. No problem with Firefox. I had the same problem. If you want to know how I solved it, hit me with an email. No point filling up your comments with this...

.......Mr. Completely

12:44 PM




Dear Mr. Completely ...
... you're right! (Of course, you already knew that.) And thank you for pointing it out to me, so I could fix it. I post in NetScape, which handles the situation a bit differently, so I wasn't aware of the problem until you mentioned it.

The reason it doesn't didn't load right in IE is that the blog template doesn't translate photos which are too wide for the text area, and therefore overlay the sidebar. That is found in both the "London Blitz" article (showing EMTs racing to the hospital with a bombing victim) and the "Every Little Movement" article (showing a Stephen Pastis "Pearls Before Swine" comic strip).

I should have realized this myself, and much earlier, because I had fought the same problem LAST month and thought I had fixed it permanently by changing my techniques. Unfortunately, I hadn't changed them for ALL photos, and these two appeared to be marginally acceptable on my browser.

I've corrected this by replacing those two full-size photos with thumbnails from ImageShack photo hosting.

If you or anyone else notices future errors of this sort, I would appreciate your bringing it to my attention ... again. I've been on the job for eight months, by know I should know what works and what doesn't.

Thank you for your assistance, your courtesy, and your patience.

1 comment:

Mr. Completely said...

The picture poster thingie that's recently been added to Blogger seems to work OK, too. I've now gone to using that. WE'll see how it holds up.....