View From The Porch: The Safety Dance: He mulled that over for a second as I turned away to see what was going on down Mike's way when, out of the corner of my eye, I see the cop unholster his sidearm. I got a real good look at the muzzle in my peripheral vision, and also took extremely good note of the fact that, even if his lack of muzzle discipline was appalling, at least his trigger finger was in register against the frame. Thank heavens.
One only assumes that this Uniformed Officer of the Law (you know, one of the "Only Ones") had been trained in gun safety practices and procedures. Also that he was experienced. So we can only conjecture about why he didn't actually PRACTICE safe gun handling.
My guess is a combination of things:
- The only time he draws his firearms is on the range, and
- he doesn't spend a lot of time on the range, and
- that time is not under the direct supervision of a Range Officer, and
- he just never got called on his shoddy skills, so
- safe gun handling was never made to be (in the words of our revered Vice President of the United States of America) "... A Big F*CKING DEAL!"