Tuesday, February 12, 2013

Dead Zone

I live in a "Dead Zone".

I don't know why it is, but I can't get radio stations ... even local ones .. as clearly in my home as I can from my car after I've driven a few blocks.

When I decided to discontinue my telephone "land line" service and instead use a cell phone,  I couldn't use AOL Online as my IP; so I looked into the ability to use a 'wi-fi' connection.  No good; there are towers in my town, but their range extends to within 2 blocks of my home, but no closer; I couldn't use wi-fi connections.   I had to go to COMCAST CABLE to get a high-speed internet connection. 

And my Cell Phone is similarly problematic:  sometimes I hear from friends or family, and they say: "I tried to call you the other day, and you never picked up.  Are you mad at me or something?  Why are you avoiding my calls?"   I have to say ... "gee, the phone was turned on, the ringer was on HIGH, and I had it right in front of me on my desk.  It never rang, I have no record of your call.  I am not avoiding you!"

(Most of my friends have agreed to believe that I never got the call, if I agree to believe that they tried to call me.  That's what friends do.)

I go through washers and dryers every few years; they wear out faster than "Street Slick" tires on a Mopar Racing car.

I've installed LAN setups, twice,  to allow internet access from  my laptop computer via my my desktop.  They failed after a few months.  A few times I was able to re-activate them.  Eventually, they failed so frequently that I quit trying; now I have a 'gizmo' from Verizon which gives me (anywhere there's a cell tower) phone access to the Internet for my laptop ... which is quite expensive, but it works.  So far.

The Electrical Utility in my neighborhood has brown-outs "often" .. during the Winter (I don't know why in Winter, but there it is) it happens on almost a weekly basis.  During the rest of the year ... it still occurs about once a month.  The power company has replaced the local .. whatchamacallet, the power distribution thingie ... several times. It still happens. My computer dies even though I have an expensive UPS unit inline.  My VCR/DVD has to be reset, my clocks have to be reset  (which is why I have a LOT of battery powered clocks in my house).   I've only had total electrical failure a half-dozen times I've lived here.

When I replace a light bulb in my house, I always use a magic marker to record ON THE BULB when I last replaced it.  During the winter ... again ... I replace bulbs every two months "sometimes" because they blow out.  Not burn out .but blow out with a flash of white light when I turn them on.  I have very few bulbs which last more than a year; the exception is my porch light, which is a flourescent 'spriral' bulb.  I leave my porch light turned on 24/7/365 because it's cheaper than replacing it so often.  All the rest?  Sometimes, a light bulb lasts for six months.

I know I've talked about all this before, but not for a couple of years (I don't care to research the last time .. afraid it will kill my computer!) but sometimes I feel like "Joe Bftznicxkt" ... (sp) ... the little guy in the old Superman comic books who always has a dark cloud hanging over his head; if he didn't have bad luck, he wouldn't have "no luck at all".

And lately (in the last 4 or 5 years), I have been suffering from insomnia and some kind of exzema or psoriasis on my hands ... not serious, either; just irritating.  I'm still working on that.

The latest thing?

I am writing this article in "normal" (12-point) type-font, but as I compose it looks like 16-point.  I have no idea what it's going to look like when I actually publish it, but my preview makes it look like bold type and a different font than I usually use.  Oh, yes, and my spell-checker?  It's high-lighting words that I know are spelled right; 4 of them in them in this paragraph alone.

So when I tell you that I live in a "Dark Zone"?  It's not really whining.  It's just a way of saying that ... if I someday just disappear?

Don't be surprised if you hear the faint notes from "The Twilight Zone" when you try to access this blog.  

2 comments:

Anonymous said...

There are many phenomenom that cannot be explained. You may be the target of malovent poltergeists. You may, as you said live in an eletrical dead zone where electricity has to struggle to exist. Paranormal forces may be aligned agaisnt you. Whatever the reasons, the forces aligned against you seem to be more powerful than you are.
There is only one answer to you dilemma. MOVE. For the sake of your very health and sanity move as soon as possible. You don't have to move far. Probably less than a mile would do the trick. But you must remove yourself from that house and immediate area.
Antipoda

Anonymous said...

It may all be a sign of global warming.