Tuesday, July 08, 2014

Concealed Carry on Campus -- Oregon State University

Oregon State University has 'issues' with respect to staff, faculty or students carrying firearms on campus.

Concealed, or otherwise.

Oregon State Law allows students/faculty/staff to maintain a firearm within his/her vehicle on campus ... but University Regulation obviate that State Law.

A 2012 announcement in the Campus Newspaper ("The Daily Barometer) includes the Official Policy of the University in regards to firearms possession.

While the announcement purports to announce a "new" policy, in truth it is the same policy which has been in effect for decades.  If you are a student, staff or faculty member of the university, and are found to have in firearm in your possession (which includes a firearm locked in your car!), you are subject to dismissal, regardless of your relationship; student, staff or faculty.

Oregon State Law allows possession of a firearm if you have a CHL (Concealed Handgun License), so if you are found to have a handgun on your person or on your vehicle (on campus), you are not subject to any legal ramifications from the state.

Except from the University.  Who will cancel your ass in a New York Minute!  Student, Staff or Faculty, you are Adios University!

I carried for 15 years on OSU campus .. either in my car or on my person .. and there was nobody I could feel comfortable with revealing that I had a firearm.  Which was perfectly okay, because if someone knew I was carrying .. it wouldn't be concealed, now, would it?

The thing is, that in 2011 there was a lawsuit by a student who was a veteran (Marine), one Jeffery Maxwell, who was  .... well, I'll let you read the details, but essentially he was arrested for carrying a derringer on campus.

The court found him "not guilty" of any crime .. but the University, in it wisdom, " ... Maxwell was suspended from the college for violating its rule against firearms."
 
He was a student, and he lost his 'privilege' to attend the state university.  He was a veteran, but he was not considered competent to safely carry a firearm.

The University giveth, and The University taketh away.

The University Sucketh, and I'm damn happy that I'm no longer associated with that medieval establishment!

And if I was still associated with that bunch of old maids, I'd still be carrying every damn minute I was on their precious campus!

(Just saying .....)

2 comments:

Mark said...

I worked in a "gun free zone " for 6 years and carried every day. I rode Tri-met, sometimes at off hours.

Anonymous said...

OU is no different from 99.8% of all universities and collages in the nation. Academics as a tribe tend to be very introverted and anti-gun.
Antipoda