Friday, May 30, 2014

Shooting Wire ... [blink] ... Just Another Pop-up Ad?

Shooting Wire:
(May 28, 2014)
(MANSFIELD, TEXAS) - Firefield Quad Rails have been known not only for their incredible affordability and solid, sturdy construction, but also their matte black finish for a seamless, streamlined look. Shooters now have the ability to customize their AR-15 with two new colors available in the Firefield Quad Rail line: Dark Earth and Olive Drab. These military-inspired shades offer more than just customization; they are also a strong proponent of concealment. With either the Dark Earth or Olive Drab color, shooters can hone in on their targets with the confidence they'll remain hidden.
Was it only a year or two back, when The Shooting Wire was a valuable reference for information of The Shooting Sports?

Now I no longer bother to read all the details, and often don't even read the Feature at the end of the daily blog.

Frankly, I don't care which firearms-related company is looking for another marketing manager, or (later) who has been hired.

I'm rarely interested in the whiz-bang gizmos that shooting-related dot com is promoting.

The sorry fact is, the email-based website has degenerated from a source of useful (or merely interesting) information to a shill for their advertisers.

Don't get me wrong:  I like it that they continue promoting Juniors and Ladies who have joined the 'shooting community".   Even though I'm not always in the things that their FEATURES section has to say about ... oh, tactical issues, for example ... I understand that there are other readers who consider this a valuable asset.  I GET that my narrow range of interest can't always be the sole content of a website which seeks to provide information to a much wider audience.

And yes, they do need to advertise; it costs them money to present this forum (although viewer participation is not their primary concern), and I don't begrudge them their efforts to expand their readership, and provide articles of interest to a wide range of readers.

I also recognize that by publishing articles about the tasking and hiring of personell, they are providing a valuable service to the folks in the Industry who are supporting the website.

It's just that ... I don't care.  Most of it bores me.  I still maintain my (FREE!) subscription, and will probably will continue for as long as it is available.

Every week, there is less 'interesting' content.

In a dead-tree gun magazine, there is enough variety that if I flip over a few pages, it doesn't take away from the general interest.  My vague discontent is based on the fact that I find myself flipping over 90% of the content, and often I file the issues entirely unread.

This is not the sign of a contented readership.

I accept that your website gets a helluva lot more readership than my poor attempts at blogging.  On the other hand, I'm not getting payed for the quality of my content.  I have no advertisers, and I'm not a professional writer.   So ... should my opinion count for anything?

Well, I am a subscriber.  So far. You tell me whether my opinion matters.

Sorry, Shooting Wire;  I admit to being fickle and bored.

Is that my problem?

And then, you go and post Feature articles like this.  Okay, I'll be hanging around for a while yet.

(click here to subscribe to The Shooting Wire)


No comments: