Sunday, September 22, 2013

Which is the more dangerous sport?

Florida high school basketball player, 18, dies after collapsing during practice | Fox News:

An 18-year-old Florida high school basketball player died on Saturday after collapsing at practice a day earlier, one of his former coaches says.
 When I respond to people who want to sign up for my "Introduction to USPSA" class, I include the following boilerplate text:

"IPSC competition is safer than high-school football."

Perhaps I should widen that comment; perhaps I should say "safer than high-school athletic sports."

I've never seen anyone die on the Playing Fields of IPSC.

Which is more than we can say about Florida High-School Basketball.

2 comments:

Anonymous said...

You are right there are several deaths, and/or very serious injuries associated with high school sports every year. The only death I know of associated with IPSC occurred near Dallas, Texas probably 20 some years ago. A young man was killed by ricochet.
Antipoda

Mark said...

I got more serious injuries playing basketball than any other sport.