Sunday, October 11, 2009

Obama Wins Nobel Peace Prize!

There are two things today which I find it impossible to believe:
  1. This is October in Oregon. The weather at the ARPC Pistol Match was clear and dry. Sure, it was a little chilly with the occasional gust of cold wind from the North. But if this is Global Warming, I'm all for it.
  2. United States President Barrak Obama won the 2009 Nobel Prize for Peace. What a surprise, and the reaction was clear and dry. Sure, it was a little chilly with the gust of occasional gust of cold wind from the Right. But if this is Global Warming, I'm still a little dubious.
Among the "chilly" reaction to President Obama's surprising win (after all, he had been President for only 11 or 12 days before he was nominated) was the Saturday Night Live sketch as presented on The Huffington Post.

Sorry, that was the reaction from the Left.

For the reaction from the Right, here is Bill Wittle's reaction on PJTV:
Again, sorry; I can't embed PJTV videos. But I do encourage you to go view the entire 10-minute video where you will hear, among other phrases, "Groveling Apologist". You may have to register to view the video, after a few days have past and it is moved to their archives. Still, it's free and the website is always the source of fascinating political opinions.

---

To put this into some perspective which applies to shooting competition, The Hobo Brasser and I briefly discussed this startling development prior to the beginning of the Saturday (October 10, 2009) club match at ARPC. I suggested that he nominate me for the Nobel Prize for Peace next year, and I would nominate him for the same Peace Prize in the next year. He questioned me: "What have you done in the past year to improve the peaceful lot of the world's citizens?"

I had to admit that I had done "Not one damn thing!" to advance that cause. His reply was: "Great! You're qualified!"


Later in the match, we shot a stage requiring six shots in each of four targets, "Virginia Count". He fired 7 shots at one of the targets. I was the Range Officer, so after he completed that string I penalized him ten points for one extra shot, as per the USPSA Rule Book.

He was astonished, at first believing that I was adding the comment in a teasing manner. After the penalty was confirmed by the Assistant Range Officer and several members of the observing squad, and a careful review of the timer statistics, he declared that he accepted the penalty but re-affirmed that he was not aware, at the time, that he had fired an extra shot.

(During scoring, we found that he had hit the 35-yard target with all seven shots, so he was also penalized another ten points for an "extra hit".)

After the stage was competed, Gary Whitefish and I conferred and announced our decision to nominate The Hobo Brasser for the 2010 Nobel Prize in Math.

Considering Obama's win, we feel sure that The Hobo Brasser is a shoo-in for the prize.

As for the immediate reaction to Obama's being awarded the Nobel Peace Prize from the Norwegians, we can go no higher than the Wall Street Journal's reaction.

Sorry again, for the third of fourth time (or as Clint Eastwood would say, "In all the excitement I completely lost count!") we must go back to PJTV.COM for Andrew Claven -- On Culture.

No comments: