Thursday, October 26, 2006

Air-Soft Accuracy

I received an unsolicited email from a guy who identifies himself as "OKJOE". He's shooting an air-soft pistol in what appears to be some kind of private indoor range.

It's a nice setup, and he has taken full advantage of the non-lethal character of air-soft pistols to set up some fine down-range angles.

I liked his videos, and I was a bit envious of his one-hand shooting ... flying pop cans (point shooting) taking pie-plates on the move, and hitting 5 out of 5. Here's one where he's getting 10 shot out of 10 in the a-zone.

That last one kind of knocked me off-balance. It claims to be a 10-shot run, but I only see/hear five shot. And the picture at the end shows the pie plate with bullet holes in it, but the sound levels aren't consistent with live ammo. Frankly, all I can here are the pellets (?) hitting the tin plate; I don't see holes in the plate during the video. Maybe your eyes and ears are better than mine. Or maybe it's a typo. I don't know. I wasn't present at the filming (I never heard of the guy), so I can't attest to the accuracy of the captions.



He also had some "real-gun" videos where you could see him making a five-shot display ... not entirely impressive split times, and you can't see the score ... but he's doing it strong-hand-only, and starting from low-ready, using a really ugly gun.

Now, here there's no question: it sounds like a live-ammo stage to me.

And here's another real-gun stage, ostensibly using two hands, where his splits are noticably faster.

It looks like he's taking two shots at the paper target on the right, shooting at a steel plate (or is it the target hanger, and is he hitting the plate or the target-carrier protective bar?) and then shooting two shots at the target on the left.

Well, whatever it is, he has a good rythm ... his shots are paced so it sounds like the split times are about equal to the index times.

Maybe you can analyze what's going on better than I can. I present this for your enjoyment, and in hopes that you can figure out what's going on here.

Joe, I replied to your email and included the URL of this post. I would appreciate it if you can find the time to provide some descriptions of what's going on in the COMMENTS section.

No comments: