Sunday, September 11, 2005

The Original IPSC Target

Today I revealed The Grand Deception. Namely, that the traditional IPSC target has been designated "The IPSC Metric Design Paper/Cardboard Target" for at least 15 years.

This despite my repeated and loud protests on the Unofficial IPSC list and at least two IPSC-related internet forums that it was arbitrarily so designated when IPSC introduced the "Classic" target in the 14th rule book edition (2001). I wondered how long it would take for someone to actually look through the old editions of the rule books and find out the real name of the IPSC target before the "Classic" was introduced.

The answer is: four years.

The joke has gone on long enough. Today, "IPSC-GUY" called my bluff, and I have to admit that my outraged protest is entirely without substance.

IPSC didn't make up the name "Metric Target" just to distinguish it from the new "Classic" target shape. They used the real, official name which had already been in effect for at least ten years. (I admit I didn't realize this when I made my first protest. I didn't discover it until I looked it up for myself. But it has been an interesting experiment, making all that noise without anybody confronting me with the truth.)

Incidently, the original IPSC target was designated "The Item Target", not the "Metric" Target (even though the dimensions were printed in centimeters rather than in inches.)

Free Image Hosting at www.ImageShack.us
Here's a picture of the Item Target, along with an alternative design called the "Boxed Option" target, from the 1st Edition (May, 1983) of the IPSC and USPSA rule book.
(Click on all images for hi-res images).


Free Image Hosting at www.ImageShack.us
For your casual information, here's a look at the cover of the 1st Edition rule book.

7 comments:

Jerry The Geek said...

spam-commenters:
BLOGSPOT allows me to trash any comment I deem unsuitable. While I'm flattered that I've received sufficient traffic that you choose to inundate my webblog with spam, I will not abide it. Anonymous spam-comment has been permanently deleted.

VileBill said...

That's kinda interesting (the target stuff, not the comment spam!) for us newer shooters. Where'd you get that rulebook? Or do you really have that many gray hairs?

Anonymous said...

They used centimeters because back then everyone thought metric was cool. It's good to see that we know better now. ;)


Re comment spam: you can turn on blogger's "Show word verification for comments" button in comment settings.

Jerry The Geek said...

VileBill, the rule book was issued to me when I first started competing in IPSC ca. 1983. Somehow, I managed to keep track of it even though I dropped out of competition for several years during the (personal life) turbulent eighties.

No, I don't have that many gray hairs. But the few hairs I do still have left are turning a peculiar shade of blond. Too much time spent in the sun, I reckon.

But much of that outdoors-time was spent in gravel quarries or their equivalent, making loud noises and rude smokey stenches with various pistols. I have it on good authority (my own) that time spent shooting does not count against your allotted three-score and ten years lifespan.

I'm counting on that.

Anonymous said...

Wrong again, bucko. The original IPSC target (1976) was called "The Option", not "The Item".

Jerry The Geek said...

The "original IPSC target" from 1976 was called "The Option"?

Could be. That was before my time, and I don't have any documentation which either supports or refutes your assertion. I'm willing to take your word for it.

What I DO have is Version One of the combined IPSC/USPSA rule book, and I'm comfortable with its documented authenticity. (I hold that rule book in my hand as I type, and believe me it's not easy to type with one hand!)

(Yes, I realize that last statement can be mis-interpreted meanly.)

As far as I know, in 1976 there was no such organization as The International Practical Shooting Confederation (IPSC).

There WAS a casually organized & informal group of shooters who practiced what they referred to as "Combat Shooting" or "Combat Pistol", organized by Col. Jeff Cooper, in the American Southwest (Arizona? I can't recall the name of the gunclub at the moment. Was it Rio Salado? Unfortunately, my copy of "The Gargantuan Gunsite Gossip" was stolen a few years ago, and I have yet to replace it.)

They were the progenitors of the sport, and I have no references immediately available which document the name they assigned to their target shape.

However, if you have original source material which you would be willing to share, I would appreciate it if you would contact me directly. The email address is encoded at the bottom of this website.

If you, "Mr. Anonymous", have anecdotal or personal experience stories to tell us, I would be even more grateful for any efforts you would take to provide that information.

It occurs to me that it would be nice to provide a history of IPSC on this venue. I'm sure there is valuable information which you seem to offer, not available from any other source, and I would be happy to host them here.

Henry said...

Any chance of getting the images renewed? I came here to look up this history, but the image links are dead.