Thursday, September 15, 2005

Joshua Heldreth Apology

Ten Year Old Arrested for Giving Food to Terri Schiavo Apologizes




I've been putting this off because of the plethora of IPSC-related information which has been available during the past month, but I mentioned the article to The Gary during the Croc Match, and told him I was going to post it Real Soon Now (RSN).

No more delays. I think this deserves some attention.


Several months ago, I posted an article describing how several adolescent members of the Keys family were arrested because they trespassed . . . they attempted to bring water to Terri Schaivo after her life support was terminated. (Note broken links to accompanying photos.)

I mentioned that others were also arrested, but I didn't name them (because I didn't have their names). Apparently, 10-year-old Joshua Heldreth, eldest of 8 children, was one of those 'others'.

At the end of August, his punishment was decided. He was to perform 25 hours of community service, and write a 'letter of apology' to the management of the hospice in which Ms. Schiavo was being . . . slowly murdered.

Here are excerpts of young Joshua's letter of apology:

"I was arrested on Good Friday for trespassing on the hospice center's property . . . Not giving Mrs. Shiavo (sic) food or water was wrong. The reason I had to go on your property was because Jesus would do the same thing. It made me sad that she was so thirsty and it made Jesus sad too. I knew she would die without water and I am called by Jesus to be a defender of the defenceless. So I had to go on your property to try to bring her a drink."
(. . .)
"I am sorry that you didn't like that and wouldn't allow me to help save her life and one day you will have to tell God why. I won't be able to help you then like I tried to help her. I will pray for you every day . . ."
You can read the entire article by clicking at the link at the head of this post. Or, you can click on the picture to view the PDF of his original letter.

I don't know if young Joshua is really qualified to speak for Jesus.

But I think he speaks for many people.

And I know a Perfect Squelch when I see one . . .

"I am sorry that you didn't like that and wouldn't allow me to help save her life and one day you will have to tell God why. I won't be able to help you then like I tried to help her. I will pray for you every day . . ."


2 comments:

Jerry The Geek said...

Spam comment deleted.

Spam comments will ALWAYS be deleted.

You know who you are; while I appreciate your readership, I do not appreciate your appropriation of my blog to advertize your commercial websites.

Anonymous said...

Hey, you have a great blog here! I'm definitely going to bookmark you!

I have a Free site Free Article Search. It pretty much covers british author related stuff.

Come and check it out if you get time :-)