Wednesday, July 06, 2005

Set Phasers at STUN

US aims Star Trek ray guns at nuclear sites - vnunet.com

Yup. They're really gonna do it.

The GuvMint plans to build handheld 'energy weapons', and issue them to American troops.

Don't let 'em fool you. If they can make ray guns for special purposes ("Nuclear Sites") they can make them any purpose they decide is worth the development and production costs.



Is this A "NON-LETHAL" weapon? I don't know, they're not giving out too many details yet. My best guess is that it is designed to cause pain, but the descriptions available don't tell you if they actually do damage to skin, nerve endings, whatever. But I suspect that an energy projector (for lack of better terminology) that causes stimulation of nerve endings 1/16" below the surface of the skin will cause permanent blindness if directed toward your eyes.

I'm telling you, if this is a prototypical phaser, you WILL see it in riot control situations within twelve months after its distribution to "nuclear sites".



What I want to know (getting back to my IPSC roots) is ... what is the Power Factor for a Phaser?

No comments: