Monday, July 04, 2005

Independence Day!

Free Image Hosting at www.ImageShack.us

Last night (Sunday, July 3, 2005) I was sitting in my living room, chatting with SWMBO, when I heard a series of small explosions outside. SWMBO asked "What's That!?" I replied that they were 'ladyfinger' firecrackers, and thought it shouldn't be a concern even though it was after midnight (illegal under local ordnances AND at this time of night doubly illegal under local noise ordnances), but as they continued they became increasingly irritating.

Finally, I got up from my comfortable couch-potato position and threw open the front door.

I saw a 'big guy' walking toward a set of three rocket fireworks, in the center of the cul-de-sac in which my townhouse apartment is located. There were a half-dozen small children sitting enthralled along the curb.

Having no appreciation for the esthetics of the moment, I loudly suggested that they "wait for tomorrow, or at least make all this noise before midnight!"

The figure hesitated, then instead of igniting the ground flares walked over to the sextet of expectant children and began to explain why he couldn't continue with the early fireworks show.

It wasn't until after I had slammed the door in disgust that I realized that the fireworks guy was . . . my landlord.

I really liked living here.

Okay, I'm stil resident in my apartment. And I like fireworks, and kids. It's only that Indepence Day Fireworks bring out the worst of my Vietnam hangups that I was such a cranky bitch.

I saw my landlord out in our shared driveway today, and he was kind enough not to mention the incident.
But I have to say, I was a real jerk last night. Tonite, when folks start shooting off fireworks (which should happen any minute), I plan to keep my tater trap SHUT.

Okay, it helps that I installed my window air-conditioner today, and I have turned it on in hopes that the 'white noise' from the air conditioner helps drown out the street noise.

I really don't like being the cranky dude in the hood.

But somebody has to do it.

Or am I just Wrong?

What do you think?

UPDATE:
Hey, it WASN'T my landlord .... it was my landlord's family.

When they started shooting fireworks tonite (Fourth of July) I was front & center with my camera, and I love the display.

Free Image Hosting at www.ImageShack.us

I wished I had gone to the fireworks stand and bought more rockets for them to shoot off. But I didn't. They were producing a fireworks display for their kids, and it was glorious .... but short.

I could have contributed, but I didn't.

Just one more reason why old folks should be very careful about asserting themselves.

I learned from this, but too late to do any good. You may use this lesson to your benefit.

Or not.

As Heinlein suggests, age does not confer wisdom. Experience might.

1 comment:

Anonymous said...

Shooting firewworks off after 11PM is inconsiderate. The knucklehead who lives next door to me did it two years in a row. The second year I had to call the police. He doesn't do it any more after 11PM. I like fireworks, but 11pm is a fair cutoff time.