Wednesday, July 23, 2008

The Quotes

A couple of months ago, I discovered The Quotes Page.

I've had a lot of fun with it, and I think that citing a themed collection of quotes on the website establishes theme for blogging during the week.

It hasn't exactly worked out that way, but it's so much fun to search for and set up a collection of similar quotes every Sunday night (or Monday night, if I get behind) I look forward to selecting a few for the Blog once a week. In fact, it's sometimes hard to choose.

The unexpected consequence is that, during conversations with friends and colleagues I sometimes realize that I have immediately at hand an authoritative quote which precisely fits the moment.

An excellent example is this week's quote from Simon Cameron: "An honest politician is one who, when he is bought, will stay bought."

This was a very popular quote in the years when Jerry Brown was the Governor of California (and especially, his father before him).

No, I can't say why this should be. I only report my observations.

No comments: