Wednesday, August 29, 2007

USPSA Elections, Part 2 - Literally!

On August 20, 2007, I posted an article discussing the USPSA Presidential and (for some areas) Area Director elections.

In a jovial mood, I discussed the problem of "The Dog Ate My Ballot", and was appropriately informed by "USPSA does *not* send replacement ballots to individuals".

Today, SWMBO suggested that I check my mailbox, which I did. What I discovered is that "USPSA does *not* send replacement ballots to individuals", but USPSA does send replacement ballots to ... everybody. (Except for Foreign Addresses, which had originally been sent ballots via First Class Mail.


What I found in my mailbox was a new ballot, yellow in color, and carefully designated "New USPSA Ballot" along with an advisory that I should
"See the enclosed letter for an explanation of this ballot. Additional information is available in the members area at www.upsa.org
If you're a member of USPSA, you should go to the webpage, sign on to the Members Area, and look at the top entry, "Ballots sent via USPS First Class Mail".

Click on the "Additional Details Here" link to get the whole story.

Here's the short version:
The mailing service which shipped out the original ballots mistakenly sent them out "bulk rate" instead of "first class". This caused a delay, resulting in some members perhaps not having as long as USPSA had intended for them to vote.

The USPSA BOD met and decided that they should extend the voting period. For reasons which are not clear to me (I'm a Geek, folks don't expect much from me) USPSA decided that they should send Replacement Ballots to all members. I'm guessing that the deciding factor was that "bulk mail" doesn't get the same respect that "first class mail" gets, so some ballots may have legitimately gone astray.

Your dog may never had had a nibble. Neither may you.

The "New Ballots" (referred to as the "First Class" Ballots) are printed on yellow paper, and they include the verbiage printed in green, above. That's so simple, even a Geek could understand it.

So you have, potentially, two chances to vote. What happens if you do?

Each ballot is numbered, so the auditors Know Who You Are. They are tasked with the onerous job of collecting and evaluating all of the ballots. (Which means they hired an Office Temp for a half-day. Cost to them: approximately $40.)

If they receive only one ballot with your ballot number, that vote counts.
Of they receive TWO ballots with your ballot number, only the Yellow ballot (the "First Class" ballot) will be counted.

Only ballots , of either shade (white or yellow), which are received before the October 1, 2007, deadline will be counted.

If I'm wrong about this, may Dave Thomas strike me ... no, let me rephrase that. I hope Dave will let me know so I can correct my misinterpretation.
___

Dave doesn't get the whole credit for this, but National Elections probably fall within his Area of Responsibility so we should probably recognize his professional approach to the administrative boondoggle which was NOT HIS FAULT!

Also, please note that the entire USPSA Board of Directors voted on this approach, and unanimously determined that this was the right approach.

Let me add my vote, and I hope you agree, that USPSA has gone beyond the minimal limits of responsibility in ensuring that all members have been provided with sufficient opportunity and time to vote for the candidates of their choice.

Me?

I'm not changing my vote.

Michael McCarter for President!

No comments: