Sunday, March 18, 2007

New Blogger: A Schadenfreude Opportunity

Google's "Blogspot" software has been beta-testing a "New Blogger" software version for the last few months. They have encouraged all participants in their free service (for which I have been grateful during the last 28 months of my participation) to convert their blogs to "The New Blogger" as soon as they, in their opinion, have moved past the Beta-Testing phase.

Reports from other bloggers (eg: LawDog) have been less than reassuring. I have been reluctant to convert to The New Blogger.

When I attempted to sign on today, I found that it was absolutely and totally imposible to access my account without accepting The New Blogger software.

After spending over an hour in attempts to access my account in the manner in which I originally signed on to use, I have reluctantly accepted their new terms of service. I have far too much content invested in this blog to throw it all away without at least making an effort to continue under the new Terms of Service.

I note that the software vendor never announced that acceptance of the new software version would become mandatory. If the consequences of this transition includes interruption of service (noted by early converts) or the less frequent posting from this source, I apologize ahead of time.

When you use a free service, one which has provided adequate support to date, it is not advisable to arbitrarily and unilaterally drop it ... even though this describes the manner in which the provider has chosen to implement the change.

If it is not immediately apparent to the casual reader that I am in a state of High Dudgeon in response, please don't be shy.

I don't like being forced to take a course of action which I would not have chosen in any less draconic scenario.

The worst part of it is, I don't even know if this post will be published.

Well, maybe it will be all right. Maybe there won't be an interruption of service. Maybe ... as likely as it now seems to me ... the new features will ever work; first time every time.

I don't expect it, but it could happen. I suppose. Although, if the software upgrade is really as good as they think it was, it would have remained an "Opt In" version and would sell itself because those who tried it really liked it. As opposed to the reports which we have received so far.

IF this note actually posts, I will be trying the 'options' which Blogger has touted so relentlessly.

Please be patient. If this stuff doesn't kill me several times in the coming weeks, I will be pleasantly surprised. And I'll say so, here.

Otherwise ... well, you can indulge in your own personal Schadenfreude as you watch me twist and turn in the wind.

No comments: