Wednesday, March 21, 2007

SB1012 - Not Ginny? Stealth Bill?

I've been checking my statscounter account, looking for some idea of who is picking up on SB1012 (see here and here.)

Curiously, I found a reference to it on a forum called "JobsRelatedStuff".

There's apparently a lot of interest here.

But I found one post from a person who claims to have received a reply from the office of Ginny Burdick:

Hello. Thank you for contacting the office of Senator Ginny Burdick. Senator Burdick has read your email and asked me to respond.

Senate Bill 1012 is not her bill, nor did she introduce this legislation into committee or legislative counsel. Senate Bill 1012 is the product of a constituent of Salem and he had the bill introduced into the Senate Judiciary Committee. He is not Senator Burdick's constituent nor did he approach Senator Burdick about this legislation. At this time, Senator Burdick has not scheduled this bill and it is not likely to receive a hearing in the near future.

Should you have any further questions, either to this bill or to any other legislation, please feel free to contact me on this issue. Thank you again for contacting our office and please continue to participate in the legislative process.

Best,

--
Jordan Rash
Legislative Assistant
State Senator Ginny Burdick
District 18
Office: 503-986-1718
Fax: 503-986-1080
sen.ginnyburdick@state.or.us
A later poster on this forum related his own experience:

I just called her office and got off the phone with Jordan, he gave me more of the same. I told him where she can stick the bill (politely of course) and he also brought up assault weapons. I almost commented on it, but I decided since theres no legislation pending, there was no reason to.

He also told me that this came from a grudge that this guy had against a range here in salem. If that is the case, this legislation is an extreme overreaction.

My bet is that it was introduced by a brady campaign employee and that Ginny "allowed" it in.


It's very interesting, because this email explicitly demonstrates that she know's she's on a slippery slope in battling for gun control, she's obviously being careful not to take too much at a time here, and it will be interesting to say the least, to watch that play out.

... and still later, from another forum member:

Yes, I heard the originator on the radio yesterday, and actually got a response from Burdick today. The bill was initiated by a neighbor of the gun club down in Salem. He was all PO'd that rounds leave the range on a regular basis, and said he can't go out in his back yard for fear of being shot, and that his next door had been shot five times.
I cannot, of course, confirm the accuracy of these observations.

However, as far as I know there is only one 'outdoor' range in Salem, Oregon, and it is a little-visited range with very conservative leadership. I've never visited this particular range, so I cannot say more.

I don't know if this information is accurate, or complete. But if it is true that "... the product of a constituent of Salem and he had the bill introduced into the Senate Judiciary Committee. He is not Senator Burdick's constituent nor did he approach Senator Burdick."

... then the question remains which State Senator sponsored the bill. That information is not attached to the bill, which is an unusual, but not unheard of circumstance.

I have been unable to determine the author or the sponsor(s) of this bill. If you can positively answer these questions, I invite you to write me (email address at the bottom of this page). Please provide internet links to documentation, or have hardcopy available for mailing or hand-to-hand transmittal.


This is, indeed, a Stealth Bill.

Whatever happened to transparency in government? Of course, this is a Democrat controlled Senate, which suggests (to me) that only lip-service will be paid to the concept of accountability.

Comments?

No comments: