Sunday, August 26, 2018

I went to the range today, and didn't fire a single shot

There was a match at my local range, and my friend The Hobo Brasser competed in it.  I didn't compete, but I came out to watch the last stage, and then we went to lunch

Over burgers and beer we chatted of friends and family, and the match (where the Hobo turned in a couple of very good runs during the Speed Steel match), and the conversation turned to the point where he suggested that I should start competitive shooting again.

I informed him that my eyesight was degenerating, and I was unable see at a close distance (like ... within three feet) without corrective lenses.  He suggested that I work with red-dot sights to help, and that's a reasonable solution.  But I still need corrective lenses, and I can't see at a distance with my reading glasses.

(I tried bifocals a few years ago ... the split image makes me dizzy when I move from one shooting position to the next, and that's part of the IPSC thing.   So he might have a point; Speed Steel does not require movement.  I'll think about it.)

The Hobo is a true gentleman, and he allowed to conversation to turn to other subjects.

I enjoyed the outing, the lunch, the conversation, and the opportunity to spend time with a man I respect and whose company I enjoy.

6 comments:

Anonymous said...

Don't become a hermit.

BillM said...

Jerry, Don't give up. I went to what they call "monovision" several years ago. Dominant eye (left for me) lens is set to mid front sight distance. Other eye is set for distance. I'm using Bolle' Vigilantes with a Rx insert,
but Rudy, ESS and others have a Rx lens option. Takes a few minutes to get used to when I first put them on--but they work well with dot or irons.

Jerry The Geek said...

Hi Bill,
actually, I deliberately understated my quandary. Even using "corrective lenses" (currently, just magnification), I still can't use my right eye. When I shut my left eye, all I get thru my right eye is one huge blur.

Maybe I ought to go back to my optometrist. I know he misses me; but I'm retired, and no longer have a medical policy which includes vision.

Anonymous said...

Maybe you need to go to see an eye doctor, not a glasses guy. Medicare pays for visits to an ophthalmologist. You may have a retina problem with your right eye. Retina disease is common in mature folks.
Antipoda

Anonymous said...

P.S. you can shoot/aim a pistol just using your left eye. Ask me how I know. I also lost most of the vision in my R. eye.
Antipoda

BillM said...

Jerry--Get to the eyeball guy and get checked out. My left eye got blurry
a few months ago. Figured it was a vision change due to age (I retired last year) but turns out to be a cataract. That's a medical problem--and Medicare Part B covers it.