Sunday, March 18, 2018

So .. you want I should REGISTER my guns????

A recurring question that we are asked, not only by gun control advocates, but even by a number of gun owners is, "What's wrong with mandatory gun registration?" Usually by the time we finish telling them about the Supreme Court decision U.S. v. Haynes (1968), they are laughing -- and they understand our objection to registration.


Registration??   Fat chance, and slim chance ... your choice, Legislators!

There is an emerging legislative requirement for  Firearms Owners to join a list of nasty people who own  guns.  This is presented as a public health issue ... what if your gun is stolen? 
According to this MANDATORY law, you should  have previously identified a stolen gun (which may have subsequently been used in a crime, and you should have already reported it even if you were not aware of your loss) as "Not Now Yours").

(Some states MANDATE that you must report a "stolen gun" ... I'm not sure how that works out; if someone steals your gun and uses it to commit a crime, are you a felon if you didn't notice that your gun-safe is missing a gun?)

I (kind of) understand the "logic" behind these new gun laws; legislators impose a responsibility for every firearms owner to track  every firearm they own.

Well, I don't even know how many guns are in  my safe, but I'm sure I have the serial numbers,  and photos & description of all my guns, on a protected Internet file.

I'm sure. 
Right. 

As if I would make this information available online!

Because next week, when Congress decides in a (frequently occurring) moment of inanity that All Guns Must Be Registered,  some goof whose salary is provided by the ungoverned-government, there will  a low-level governmental fuctionary goof  knocking at my (and your!) door asking to inventory your guns.

Why would they do this?  Why would our political masters  need to know what guns you own?

One reason: so they can take them away from you.  

( I don't much care if they take YOUR guns, but God Help Us if they try to confiscate MY guns!)

Because it's the first step to confiscation, IS Registration!

(And yes ... I admit that I'm less than confident that America's Government has my confidentiality as a primary consideration!)


So let me make this pont:  If we are to consider it a reasonable action of our Government to track firearms transfers ... why don't they just note the transfer of "a firearm" from person A to person B??

Why do they require the details of the GUN?

Oh ... they want to register every firearm which is involved in any sale, loan or other transfer of possession.   They dojn't care who owns it ... as long as they know the current owner, a description of the firearm, the serial number and who had it last.

They do this "for the children" I'm pretty sure.



1 comment:

Anonymous said...

Even as a FFL, when the state required me to send them forms related to sales, I never did. never gave any to the feds either.

None of their business who owns guns.