Monday, October 16, 2017

"Optimism about gun control"

Gun Owners and Gun Control Advocates will never agree.

Gun Control Advocates believe that all guns are bad, and should be banned.  Anyone who disagrees with them is considered to be a tool of the National Rifle Association.

 Moms’ group’s tactics show there is cause for optimism about gun control - San Francisco Chronicle:
 There’s an old tweet from 2015 that’s resurrected after every mass shooting in the United States, and it resurfaced again after the Las Vegas massacre. 
 “In retrospect,” tweeted Dan Hodges, a political commentator, “Sandy Hook marked the end of the U.S. gun control debate. Once America decided killing children was bearable, it was over.” I believed the sentiment wholeheartedly — that the National Rifle Association had won and there wasn’t a damn thing we could do about it. 
Law-abiding Gun Owners believe that they are exercising their Constitutional Rights,
 and we wonder why Gun Control Advocates can't understand the difference between ourselves and Mass Murderers (and Inner City Gangs and other purveyors of illegal drugs, whose participation in "turf wars" are exacerbating the toll of firearms murders in America).

As a law-abiding gun owner, and only incidentally a member of the NRA, I take personal exception to the accusation that "killing  children (is) bearable" to me.

Besides being a hunter, competitor and collector of heirloom firearms, I'm also a father, and a grandfather.  Soon I expect to be a great grand-father.  I love my family.  I respect people. I stand proud for my rights to protect them, and myself. 

How am I so different from the authors of the cited article? 
(Other than that I refuse to be intimidated by violent felons who may threaten me and my family, and I have the means and will to resist.)

Unfortunately, on a national level ... the Gun Control Movement" is in danger of tearing this nation apart!

Somehow, the Gun Control Movement feels justified in portraying supporters of  our constitutional rights as irresponsible, unthinkingly selfish, and immoral avoiders of legal restrictions on firearms.   That is absolutely not true; most firearms owners are more cognizant of gun control laws, and are punctilious in their observance.

This kind of faux journalism serves no noble purpose.  Instead, it actively serves to widen the gap between legal firearms owners and readers, who may have no experience or understanding about people who champion their Second Amendment rights.

Exercise:
Using any search argument you choose, look up the number of Concealed Handgun Permit owners convicted of a felony.

Then search for the number of Law Enforcement Officers convicted of a felony.

No comments: