As Introduced Urges the courts, especially the United States Supreme Court, to adhere to the clear wording of the Second Amendment being a right afforded to state-sponsored militias and not individuals.This has been all over the gun blogger-net for the past couple of days. Those fun-loving scamps in the Illinois Legislature (who always reminded me of the characters in M*A*S*H) have a new trick to play on their fellow citizens.
Which completely goes against both the HELLER and the MACDONALD decisions.
The smart money today is on failure of the bill, though, as
- 11/06/15: Filed with the Clerk by Rep. Emanuel Chris Welch
- 11/09/15: Added Co-Sponsor Rep. Pamela Reaves-Harris
- 11/10/15: Referred to Rules Committee
- 11/10/15: Added Co-Sponsor Rep. Jaime M. Andrade, Jr.
- 12/29/15: Removed Co-Sponsor Rep. Jaime M. Andrade, Jr.
- 12/30/15: Removed Co-Sponsor Rep. Pamela Reaves-Harris
But apparently the voters are not looking kindly on this abrogation of their civil rights. Illinois is known as a "swing state", and the vote of the populace might go either way.
Also, the governor of Illinois, Bruce Rauner, is a Republican. He might have had a thing or two to say about this.