Saturday, August 08, 2015

How Aggressive, Incompetent Legislators Can Make Felons out of Free Men

Oregon Ex Post Facto Gun Registration Law (ex SB941)
(Which law makes it a felony to transfer a firearm between individuals without involving a third party and registering your gun.)

I'm not sure exactly when Oregon's "Register Your Gun To Transfer Your Gun" law is scheduled to actually become law, but I suspect that I've already violated the terms of that unconstitutional act.

I mentioned the other day last month that I had broken my gun.  (Well, the trigger.)  A friend offered to fix it for me, knowing full well that I and mechanical things don't get along.

Anyway, I gave it to a friend who is more mechanically inclined than I am to fix it.  I ordered the needful parts and had them sent directly to his home.  Then at the next match we were able to meet, he gave my now-fixed gun back to me.

Pretty simple, huh?

But I think .. depending on the day of the week when either transfer took place ... one or both of us may now be felons.

Here's a suggested scenario, which may or may not be true.

I broke my gun on Monday, and gave it to my friend to fix on Tuesday.  Wednesday the law came into effect.  On Thursday my friend returned my repaired gun to me.  On Friday my friend and I were arrested because we didn't go through a third party (someone with a Dealer's license) to register the transfer.

My friend is not a dealer, nor a 'registered' armorer .. which means nothing in this state but surely it's the next step in refining the terms of the bad bill which has been passed but possibly not yet enacted.

 (I don't know if this law applies to us this week.)

So .. when I transferred my gun to my friend to repair, I didn't process the 'transaction' through the (as yet non-existent?) legal process.

But when he gave it back to me, we still didn't ask The State for permission to perform this entirely innocent act ...

So are we both felons now?  Or if not, is ONE of us a felon and the other innocent ... for performing essentially the same act of transferring a firearm between us??

We may both, or one of us, have run afoul of the law.  Which of us should be sent to jail, and is the other innocent merely because of fortuitous timing?




THIS IS THE REASON why many of us believe that We The People are oppressed by actively stupid legislators, who pass stupid laws for the sole purpose of trying to make it seem as if they are 'doing something' during their term in office.

These laws which seem so simple on the surface are in fact an abomination against all men of honor.

There are no legitimate justification for the laws; they're only enacted because people want their legislators to "DO SOMETHING" about a situation which cannot be remedied by the enactment of laws.

It's a vicious circle, promulgated only because politicians will do ANYTHING to get re-elected.  They don't care that the laws they pass make criminals out of honest men; they ... the lawmakers ... just want to look good on television.

Besides, these laws will not serve their supposed purpose, to prevent firearms from falling into the hands of felons.  Felons will not obey they law ... that's why they are called Felons.

Legislators, however, have a much more applicable nickname:

Idiots





6 comments:

Anonymous said...

Your State is only asking that you give up some freedoms and liberties, in the interests of public safety and fighting gun violence.

Anonymous said...

If it saves the life of just one child!!

Archer said...

The Act took effect yesterday, August 9th. You're both fine.

A friend asked us to store a rifle in our safe for a while. He brought it over last week. We still have it.

Care to guess the over/under on whether or not we'll be visiting the local shop to do the "required" check to give him back his own gun?

Anonymous said...

The law is the law and meant to be obeyed, even if it is inconvenient.

Mark said...

Are the anonymous posters serious and therefore fools or just fooling with us.

Jerry The Geek said...

Mark, I'm sure you will be surprised to hear the "Anonymous" is an internationally known master of satirical commentary. No, really!

OH, also: you and I are NOT the only non-democratic voters in the state of Oregon.

There are at least three others that I know of.

(Okay, so two of them are "independents", which means they usually vote the straight Democratic ticket, but still ... )