Thursday, May 22, 2014

How to shoot a wild (North Korean) Commie ...

The Box O' Truth #36 - Frozen Clothing And The Box O' Truth - Page 1:

 I have had a number of people send me notes asking if I would test a rumor that they heard about the Korean War. It seems that it was rumored that the North Korean Commies wore thick clothing and that in the freezing rain, the outside, which was wet, froze. It was then said that the .30 Carbine would not penetrate this frozen clothing, but would bounce off like an over-cooked string bean hitting an anvil. (Okay, I just threw in that part about the string bean and the anvil). Well, I don't have any authentic North Korean Army clothing from that time period, but I do have some cotton terry cloth towels. So, I did the following ....
I've been a devoted fan of "The Box O' Truth" for centuries, literally, so I was delighted to see that [H/T] Oleg Volk (in an article titled "The Perceived Inadequacy of M1 Carbine", had an actual link to a new episode which I had not yet seen.

It hadn't a lot to do with the penetration of the 10mm, which I was most interested (boo to Oleg Volk for an article which ... most irreverently .. suggested that the Mighty Ten would not penetrate aluminum as easily would the lowly M1 Carbine poodle-shooter round), but it was interesting in that it (the box-o-truth entry) did address penetration in a general sense.

You'll have to go follow the grout trail yourself to determine whether you found it as entertaining as I did.

On the other hand .. who doesn't like "The Box 'o Truth"?

3 comments:

Anonymous said...

The powder used in the 30 carbine at time of Korean War was very temperature sensitive. Korea gets very very cold in the winter. Not a good combination.

Mark said...

Before the advent of the M16, we had to carry the M1 Carbine in the USAF. The standard manual of arms said the best way to use the weapon was to grasp the barrel like a baseball bat and begin swinging at the enemy. ;-)

Anonymous said...

It's not easy. They don't run in a straight line.