Friday, May 24, 2013

Another Fishing Scam



Hello,

I'm writing this with great grievance, My family and I came down here to Manila, Philippines on a short vacation to visit  resort. unfortunately we were mugged at the park of the hotel where we stayed,all cash and  credit card including cell phone were stolen away but luckily for us we still have our passports with us. My credit card can't be charged by the hotel as I already reported it as a stolen card and the card company had  canceled it, so I can only get a new one when we make it back home safely.

   We’ve been to the Embassy and the Police here but they’re not helping issues at all and our return flight leaves soonest but we’re having problems settling the hotel bills and the hotel manager  won’t let us leave until we settle the bills.Now am freaked out, I will really need your financial assistance I promise to pay back as soon as we get back. Please let me know what you can do so i can proceed to give you all the details on how to get the funds to me here.

Thanks.


xxx


This is the context of another email I have received, obviously an attempt to either get me to send case to a bogus address (yet to be named), or to offer personal information.

Please, don't respond to these kind of emails.  In this case, there are certain details which are not consistent with my friend's personal life.   It's easy for me to ignore this ... we all want to help our friends and family when they are trouble; these people rely on our humanity to bilk us out of billions of dollars a year.

I just want you to be aware that the email address from which you receive similar emails may be valid (as this was), but the person sending the email is not your friend, not your family.

If you receive a similar email, be very careful about how you respond.  Above all, do not reveal personal information which may lead to you being robbed.  You're not helping anyone, other than the people who are too greedy to appreciate how they victimize nice people.

1 comment:

Anonymous said...

You must do all you can to help this poor suffering family. Oh the humanity of it all.
Antipoda