Wednesday, January 16, 2013

NRA shooting game no longer for preschoolers

NRA shooting game no longer for preschoolers | Political Headlines | Comcast:

WASHINGTON — A new shooting game for mobile devices by the National Rifle Association is no longer being labeled suitable for preschoolers. "NRA: Practice Range" changed its age recommendation on Tuesday from 4 years and up to at least 12 years of age with an added warning that the game depicts "intense" and "realistic" violence. The move came amid pushback from liberal organizations that called the game tasteless and its timing politically motivated. It was released Sunday. This week is the one-month anniversary of the shooting at a Newtown, Conn., elementary school that left 20 children and six adults dead, and the same week President Barack Obama is expected to announce his plan for curbing gun violence.
What's this all about?
A progressive advocacy organization, Courage Campaign, on Tuesday circulated an online petition asking Apple to drop the free mobile application from its store.


"This is a classic example of everything that is wrong with the NRA. Instead of coming to the table with constructive ideas to reduce gun violence, the NRA is instead developing a video game that glorifies guns and gun violence," said Adam Bink, director of the group's online programs.
Isn't that special?  Here's a "Progressive Advocacy Orginization" chiding the NRA about being constructive.  Apparently, all they can do is to be critical.

Being knee-jerk reactive to any effort which reflects negativity on the Second Amendment, I went to the Courage Campaign website to see who and what they are all about.  I had the impression that their goal was to encourage abused children to speak out about their abuse.

What I found was ... not much about child abuse.   I guess they have been distracted. They are very Pro-Obama, and the "Assault Weapon Ban" seems to be Number One With A Bullet.

Eh, but I found some other issues which they espouse, and I admit (if grudgingly) that they have found a few subjects (not many, but a few) which probably need to be addressed. I'm not going to be sending them a check; and I'm not going to be terribly harsh in criticizing them, either.
___________________________________________________________________________

I'm upset ... well, lets say "concerned ... about their espousal for the "Assault Weapons Ban", mostly because I think the whole thing is overplayed politically and ineffective practically.  A few of their other issues, I just don't find that interesting (there's a dead horse somewhere whose beaters are allowing themselves to be distracted from their REAL job!).  A few other causes just seem silly, to me.  But I'm an Old White Guy, and not expected to politically aware.

Frankly, when I look at the original article, I don't see a problem. Kids get to knock down some targets online?  It would probably be overlooked if they were using darts ... or stones ... but in the scenarion they are (presumably) knocking down targets using The Evil Gun! 

Can yoiu say:

(Good for you, I knew you could)

You know, a lot of people seem to be determined to milk the "GUN CONTROL" issue because it's high visibility and low-risk subject.   Politically speaking, that is, and "Advocacy Organizations" seem to have a choice between supporting their community, and making political hay while the sun shines on their ..... issues.

It's not so much that I mind that they provide jobs for people who need the work;  it's more that they seem all-too willing to interfere with the lives of other people because of goals which I don't feel particularly inclined to support.

Yes, it's a political thing.

We didn't make it so; they did.  And frankly, it just pisses me off that folks whose job it is to support people seem to find it entirely justifiable that they can undermine MY rights in order to achieve THEIR goals.  These folks are trying to help people?  They think they can do it by walking on MY lawn?

Get outta town!

Every year I take a week driving to San Diego to visit my kids and my grand kids.  I can't really afford it, but it's the only way I can keep at least a minimal personal contact with my family.

They wonder why I choose to stay in rainy ol' Oregon, instead of moving closer to them.

Well, I still live in the state where I was born, and where my children were born.  I lived for a few years in California, and I was so glad to leave there and move back to where the grass is green and the Budweiser Border Guards keep their retirees from moving up here to enjoy their Golden Ages.

This is the kind of thing which reinforces my determination to be my own man.  I really, really don't want to be preached to by a bunch of "Progressive" idiots about how I should think and how I should feel.

My own daughter is a "Community Advocate", and she's a darned good one.

She would never fall for the political self-serving demonstrated here.

Assault Weapons Ban .. .my ass!


1 comment:

Anonymous said...

The left is relentless in the advancement of its goals. They play hardball, they play for keeps and they think long term, as well as short term. The ends justify the means is their motto.