Saturday, June 30, 2012

Camp Grenada

"Hello Muddah, hello Faddah
Here I am in Camp Grenada.

It is very ... entertaining,
And they say we'll have some fun if it stops raining."


Do you remember that 1963 novely song by Alan Sherman?



If you do, or if you've just listened to it, you have an idea about how my trip to see my grandchildren has been working for me so far.



The very old, like the very young (and like dogs ... see below), have 'problems' dealing with their environment and experiences.

For me ... well, I'm like The Hobo Brasser ("My Travels With Hansel and Gretel"), except the grief in my life comes from my car.

Yesterday, my car died just as I was pulling into the motel in Medford, Oregon. I ended up perched on a red curb (NO PARKING: VIOLATORS WILL BE TICKETTED AND TOWED!") by the restaurant next door to the motel. After I had explained and apologized to both the motel and the restaurant owner, the car started right up and I drove to my room.

Today, halfway to the American River Valley area along Interstate 5 in California, my front tire started to make "funny noises". Like THUMP-THUMP, THUMP-THUMP. So I pulled into a gas station at the next exit (ever notice how Service Stations never have a "Mechanic's Bay" anymore?) and it looked fine,

Back on the road, 20 miles later the car started pulling to the left.

It's 6pm Saturday Night, no place to go, so I limped on into Stockton and got room. The most disreputable Motel 6 in the entire chain can be found there; i'm in room 105, and the fine folks in room 106 are starting their Saturday Night early. WHOOPIE! Did I mention that the ice machine isn't working? I called the front desk. They checked. "Yes sir, our ice machine is working". Yes, it's churning and making noises .,. but it isn't dispensing any nice. One presumes that the fine folks in room 106 are making regular Ice runs too keep the machine drained. Either that, or in 94 degree weather, the stuff melts before it gets to the dispenser.

I haven't tried the shower yet. I'm afraid to.

Maybe I should just go visit the party in 106. It's my best chance to get ice, and The Good Lord knows I'm not going t get any sleep tonight anyway ... and I'm afraid to drive a car with a wobbly wheel like a grocery store shopping cart tomorrow.

Tomorrow: "Muddah Faddah Kindly Disregard Dis Lettah"

No comments: