Tuesday, June 14, 2011

Eviscerating Sarah

Palin and Paul,
sitting in a tree,
K.I.S.S.I.N.G.

Earlier this month Sarah Palin told a group of Massachusetts tourists that The Midnight Ride of Paul Revere (originally described by Longfellow as "Paul Revere's Ride") included warning the British that the American Patriots were waiting for them and would not willingly give up their guns (many of which were stored in an arsenal at Concord, Massachusetts).

In fact, Revere was captured by the British and held at gunpoint.

Palin's assertion that Revere "warned the British" was recorded, and subsequently her grasp of historical fact was gleefully derided by many Liberal sources.

Chris Mathews on HARDBALL stepped on Palin's neck, asserting that Palin "... don't know much about history" and "I think that speaks for her credentials more than anything else". Quoting John McCain, Mathews said "She Doesn't Know Anything".



(Why is the Lame Stream Media so focused on Palin?
No matter what she does ... or doesn't do ... she is criticized. Even if the LSM pays more attention to Palin than to supposedly 'major' Republican candidates, the story is that her day-to-day activities are more emphatically (and critically) reported in the News than "mainstream" Republican candidates. And the reason for this is .. . what?)


One radio commentator was so astounded (after stating that "She's an idiot .. it doesn't matter") when his staff informed him that Palin's assertion was accurate, that his head exploded ... leaving only his mouth to further his political agenda regardless of the facts.



These were his earlier comments ... before he realized that he was entirely clueless:


What a bunch of maroons!

When asked by Fox News about her supposed faux pas, Palin confirmed her assertion, saying "I know my American History".




And in fact, according to the Massachusetts Historical Society, Palin was exactly right.

In a much later letter written long after the event, Revere said (in part - note that variant spellings and grammar are reproduced exactly as written):

I got a Horse of Deacon Larkin. While the Horse was preparing, Richard Devens, Esq. who was one of the Committee of Safty, came to me, & told me, that he came down the Road from Lexington, after Sundown, that evening; that He met ten British Officers, all well mounted, & armed, going up the Road. I set off upon a very good Horse; it was then about 11 o'Clock, & very pleasant. After I had passed Charlestown Neck, & got nearly opposite where Mark was hung in chains, I saw two men on Horse back, under a Tree. When I got near them, I discovered they were British officer.

One tryed to git a head of Me, & the other to take me. I turned my Horse very quick, & Galloped towards Charlestown neck, and then pushed for the Medford Road. The one who chased me, endeavoring to Cut me off, got into a Clay pond, near where the new Tavern is now built. I got clear of him, and went thro Medford, over the Bridge, & up to Menotomy. In Medford, I awaked the Captain of the Minute men; & after that, I alarmed almost every House, till I got to Lexington.

I found Mrs. Messrs. Hancock & Adams at the Rev. Mr. Clark's; I told them my errand, and inquired for Mr. Daws; they said he had not been there; I related the story of the two officers, & supposed that He must have been stopped, as he ought to have been there before me. After I had been there about half an Hour, Mr. Daws came; after we refreshid our selves, we and set off for Concord, to secure the Stores, &c. there. We were overtaken by a young Docter Prescot, whom we found to be a high Son of Liberty. I told them of the ten officers that Mr. Devens mett, and that it was probable we might be stoped before we got to Concord; for I supposed that after Night, they divided them selves, and that two of them had fixed themselves in such passages as were most likely to stop any intelegence going to Concord.

I likewise mentioned, that we had better allarm all the Inhabitents till we got to Concord; the young Doctor much approved of it, and said, he would stop with either of us, for the people between that & Concord knew him, & would give the more credit to what we said. We had got nearly half way.

Mr Daws & the Doctor stoped to allarm the people of a House:

I was about one hundred Rod a head, when I saw two men, in nearly the same situation as those officer were, near Charlestown. I called for the Doctor & Daws to come up; - were two & we would have them in an Instant I was surrounded by four; - they had placed themselves in a Straight Road, that inclined each way; they had taken down a pair of Barrs on the North side of the Road, & two of them were under a tree in the pasture. The Docter being foremost, he came up; and we tryed to git past them; but they being armed with pistols & swords, they forced us in to the pasture; -the Docter jumped his Horse over a low Stone wall, and got to Concord.

I observed a Wood at a Small distance, & made for that. When I got there, out Started Six officers, on Horse back, and orderd me to dismount;-one of them, who appeared to have the command, examined me, where I came from, & what my Name Was? I told him. it was Revere, he asked if it was Paul? I told him yes He asked me if I was an express? I answered in the afirmative. He demanded what time I left Boston? I told him; and aded, that their troops had catched aground in passing the River, and that There would be five hundred Americans there in a short time, for I had alarmed the Country all the way up.

(Note: this was the part where Revere "ratted out" the American Patriots.")

He imediately rode towards those who stoppd us, when all five of them came down upon a full gallop; one of them, whom I afterwards found to be Major Mitchel, of the 5th Regiment, Clapped his pistol to my head, called me by name, & told me he was going to ask me some questions, & if I did not give him true answers, he would blow my brains out. He then asked me similar questions to those above. He then orderd me to mount my Horse, after searching me for arms. He then orderd them to advance, & to lead me in front. When we got to the Road, they turned down towards Lexington. When we had got about one Mile, the Major Rode up to the officer that was leading me, & told him to give me to the Sergeant. As soon as he took me, the Major orderd him, if I attempted to run, or any body insulted them, to blow my brains out.

We rode till we got near Lexington Meeting-house, when the Militia fired a Voley of Guns, which appeared to alarm them very much.

As you can see from Revere's own words, he was repeatedly threatened with sudden death and yet he had the presence of mind to "warn" the British that Americans were prepared to resist British efforts by force of arms.

He had no real knowledge even that Americans would respond to his call to arms, let alone how many might show up at concord; but Revere valiantly presented to the British that they would be resisted.

I didn't now this about American History. Did you?

But Sarah Palin knew it, and was so secure about her knowledge of American History that she placed herself in a very dangerous position .. and then defended her position, successfully. Did she have a very knowledgeable staff? Or was she just so confident that she was willing to place herself in a position where she had to confirm her knowledge about America, to make a point.

B. H. Obama would NEVER do this!

This was not, as may be assumed by some leftist Americans today, an attempt to appease his captors. Instead, it was a exercise in what we would call today "disinformation". At the point of his capture by aggressive British soldiers, Revere played his sole remaining trump card and threatened the British with American Resistance.

Revere had no reason to believe that the British would not execute him with no notice; yet he continued his resistance even though he knew that it could incite the powerful military to violence ... at the cost of his own life.

We can only wonder why the Liberal Press has reacted so fervently against Palin's History Lesson. Was it because they thought it made an American hero, Paul Revere, seem less than fervent in his revolutionary ardor?

No, probably the reaction of the Liberal Press was solely because Palin is a Conservative, and they will not consciously miss any opportunity to portray her in the most unfavorable light.

The MSM, as antiquated as they are, will always portray a female conservative as dim-witted.

Fortunately, they don't do their homework, as Sarah Palin obviously does.

My thanks to Conservatives4Palin, for the link to the original Revere letter; also, to "Legal Insurrection" for the link to the link.

Also, note that Yahoo News in their article "How Sarah Palin Got It Right about Paul Revere 'Warning The British'" for their link to the link to the ... well, you know.

Fortunately, we don't have to rely on the Main Stream Media for information. They don't do their homework, and they should be ashamed of their lapse.

Incidentally, this puts the MSM long-time claim that "Bloggers aren't reliable news sources, because they don't have the staff to confirm the validity of their information" completely out of our realm of approbation. In this case, as in so many others, the MSM doesn't do their homework.

Bloggers do.

And so does Sarah Palin.

No comments: