Tuesday, January 19, 2010

Life Is But A Dream

I've been spending much of my spare times (evenings and weekends) here at Chez SWMBO. She could use a hand with some daily chores, and since she doesn't get around much any more she appreciates even Geekish company. Besides, her younger sister Jo has been on a Panama Canal cruise ... she and her hubby just got back in town today. The phone calls from Jo to SWMBO haven't been a regular feature during this hiatus, because Ship-to-shore phone rates are $2.49/minute.

I'll be around this weekend, too.

On December 7, 2009, I called my Dentist to schedule an appointment; one of my teeth (#4, Top Left Cuspid) broke off that morning.

It was a very old tooth, which had a root canal and a full crown some years ago, but to have it break off was a shock to me. There was no warning until the day it broke off.

So I called my Dentist and said "Doctor Doctor, Give Me The News -- I've got a Bad Case of Missing YouTooth!"

When I want to the doctor that afternoon, he said "mmmm, yes. IT is broken off. At the gumline. Nothing I can do about this, I'll have to send you to an Oral Surgeon. In the meantime, there are some dental hygiene issues we need to deal with, so that your mouth is as germ-free as we can make it before The Operation."

Get that last part? "The Operation", in Capitals.

They spent a month doing cleaning, root planing (not my favorite way to spend an afternoon with my Dental Hygienist), and filling a small cavity or six or eight.

Last week I got to finally see the Oral Surgeon, who made an appointment for me for ... NEXT FRIDAY!

Let me see, today was the 18th of January. That makes it about six weeks since I first went to my dentist to get that broken tooth tended to. Now I have only five more days to anticipate the charming experience of allowing a perfect stranger to cut old tooth roots out of my skull.

I cannot tell you how charming I find the prospect; but please, if you feel the urge to share your bloody-gory Oral Surgery stories in the Comments section ... don't.

I'm already upset by the delay, and now I have had a full week to anticipate the actual event. I hope to spend the next 3 days ignoring the prospect.

Denial is a way of life with me.

No comments: