Thursday, September 24, 2009

419

In case you aren't already aware of the Nigerian "419" scam, here's a really good example of it:

Essentially, you receive an unsolicited email from someone you don't know. They are from Nigeria (not essential to the hoax) and they ask you to help them send millions of dollars to America. This is made possible (so they say) for some certain legal shenanigans having to do with with Nigerian banking laws, an odd will, or some other device which allows them to skim the money from either the bank or the Nigerian Government ... which cannot be completed without a confederate in another country.

Whichever country you reside in, that is the government which allows this scheme to work.

SCHEME:
And "scheme" it is. The thrust of the game is that you, as the greed but unsuspecting victim, will be required to provide some small amount of money at first to pay for "transfer Fees" from their bank to yours. Then there are new fees, tithes, penalties, "good faith deposits" and any other monetary requirement the perpetrator can conceive to encourage you to throw good money after bad. After all, you are believably assured to receive millions in return, so why shouldn't you invest your pension in support of this venture?

You'll get your money back, if you are only patient.

Yeah, right.

Even though the email contact assures you of the soundness of the 'investment', it's a scam all the same. If you receive an email which offers you riches in return for a shady "scheme", from/on behalf of somene you have never heard of before .... walk, don't run to the nearest exit.

You will never receive a tenth of your investment, and most likely you will lose every cent in your City Bonds and 401K Retirement Accounts.


Here is a example of the initial contact letter. Note that it's from nobody you every heard from before, but it is crafted by someone with a very appealing personality.
From Miss Jessica Fatu

My Dear, please do not be upset due to the mail I sent to you, also because we have not met before but I know that we do not meet accidentally, rather I meet you by the special grace of God when I found your profile email address and after praying, I just hand over everything to Gods hand believing that you must be a kind, sincere, faithful and understandable person whom will understand me and assist me in this my current situation.

Let me start by giving you an introduction of my self and my family background. My real name is Jessica Fatu. I was born and brought up in Cote d’Ivoire on 03 September 1988 (am 22 yrs old). Also I am the only surviving daughter parents. My mum’s name is Dr. Mrs. Gloria fatu. My mum died when I was four years old (12th dec 1984) and since then my daddy took me so special. But unfortunately, my daddy was killed last year when he attended a ceremony in the village. He was brutally killed and was shut severally by my uncles on his way back. But he do not die instantly and was admitted in a private hospital here and Before the death of my father in a private hospital here in Abidjan he secretly called me on his bed side and told me that he has the sum of Three million, seven hundred thousand United State Dollars.USD ($3,700,000.00) left in fixed / suspense account in one of the prime bank here in Abidjan,which he used my name as his only daughter for the next of Kin in depositing of the fund. He also explained to me that it was because of this wealth that he was shut by his brothers (my uncles).So my dear I am seeking your assistance in the following ways:

1) To help me transfer this fund to your country because I have discussed with the bank about my intensions to transfer my inheritance abroad which they have accepted.

2) To serve as a guardian of this fund since I am only 21yrs old.

3) To make arrangement for me to come over to your country to further my education and to secure a resident permit in your country.

Moreover, my dear I am willing to offer you 15% of the total sum as compensation for your Effort/input after the successful transfer of this fund into your nominated account overseas.

Furthermore, you indicate your options towards assisting me as I believe that this transaction would be concluded within fourteen (14) days you signify interest to assist me.

I am looking forward to your hopeful respond and may God be with you.

Yours Sincerely,
Jessica Fatu.
What a bunch of merde.

No comments: