Saturday, April 19, 2008

Ultrasonic Gun Cleaner

I've seen ultrasonic gun cleaner set-ups before ... well, once. The guy who had it showed me his garage setup (this was ... oh, a dozen years ago), which was a steel tank full of solvent, with a lid and some kind of 'mechanism' in it, along with a metal mesh basket. It was based on the ultrasonic cleaners that jewelers use for cleaning rings, necklaces, broaches, etc. Except, of course, it was bigger and more robust.

It was expensive, so while I was impressed it always seemed far beyond my means.

While I was surfing around the net today, though, I found a slicker looking setup that doesn't require a stand, and can be run on your kitchen counter top.

It's not my policy to tout commercial ventures which I have not tried, but it's worth a few minutes to consider this Weapons Cleaning system.


The LawmanLab.Com HCS-200 Ultrasonic Gun Cleaner 'tank' is a little under 12" long, 6" wide and 4" high. (inner dimension of the 'tank', which I presume is the stainless tub at the left of the picture.)

If the documentation is any accurate measure, it will clean and lubricate one 6" revolver or two semi-auto pistols in 20 minutes.

The price is just on the near side of affordable for the dedicated competition shooter at $399.

I'm wondering how well it handles the powder-cake in the compensator of a Race Gun.


If you're not daunted by the $400 price tag, you might want to consider the "Professional" version: The F275HT will take a single handgun (or maybe 2 revolvers ... there may be a typo in the boilerplate) in its "Heated Tank", which features a 9" x 5" mesh basket. There is no information about how long it takes to clean the pistol(s), nor is there any discussion about whether the 'heated' cleaner compares to the home version.

However, the arrangement looks more like something you would see in a gunshop, and sells for a head-swiveling $850. My guess is that this is designed for daily (rather than weekly) use, and is probably more robust and designed to have it 'up' all day, every day, as a gunsmith shop cleans pistols prior to repairs or modifications.

There are larger versions, for multiple handguns or for long guns, but the 2-handgun version of the "professional" grade cleaner is offered for $1,340. (The prices go up, rapidly, with higher capacity or longer tank sizes, and it doesn't take long before you're buying a stand to mount the tank.)

Both prices are a little steep for a working man (pencil-necked Geek), so I'm not likely to plunk down a couple of days' pay to provide you with a Product Evaluation.

But I have to admit, I like the idea and I sure do wish I could report that "Hey, this stuff really works!" Cleaning pistols every week, gets old really fast, and it's very tempting when some guy walks up to you on the Internet Street and says "Son, I can clean that gun for you and you won't even have to get your hands dirty".

Well, perhaps not that, but I'm every bit as curious as you are.

If any of you have seen one of these, know anybody who has, or (most especially) if you OWN one ... would you please provide the information via the Comments page?

I'm still going back and looking at that puppy. Just think ... what if it really works?

It just might be worth the price of admission.

UPDATE: 21-APR-2008
Commenter "Overload in Colorado" mentions that Harbor Freight offers a selection of ultrasonic cleaners for a significantly lower price. I did a search and found a few that might work for pistol cleaning. The highest priced item is a 1.5 quart counter-top cleaner for $160; the tank is 4"x9"x5-1/4", which may or may not accommodate Race Guns' compensated barrels. You could put them in at a tilted angle, that might work.

Still, I'm curious about the LawmanLab.com claim that you could "... clean and lubricate [your] pistol in 20 minutes." I guess they must have a solvent which also serves as a lube, if that makes any sense. Here is a list of the cleaning solvents they sell. The also offer a FAQ page, and links to other suppliers and brands. (Note that I haven't found any of the chemicals which obviously provide a cleaning and lubrication capability.)

No comments: