Wednesday, April 09, 2008

Syd Retires?

Syd, at Front Sight, Press (also www.snubnose.info) announced this week that he plans to "... take a break, perhaps forever, but at least for a while...".

It's not clear whether this is effective immediately, or he plans to just let blogging 'taper off', or what.

Still, it's disheartening for those of us who have read him regularly for the past 10 years, and rely on him for not only news and technical notes regarding the 1911, but also a roundup of pistol-related news.

Syd has always been hanging-10 on the wave of issues which are important to us, and I have stolen shamelessly from him over the years. I'm happy to say that he has returned the favor from time to time, by linking (via his trademark TinyURL links) to a few articles which I have written. I'm gratified by his support, and have been pleased when the articles he surveyed have been among the best-written and most important during the week.

But it is not about me. Syd has served as a mentor by example of writing excellence, and his writing has channeled my thoughts into currents which my mind would never have taken me. I expect that others who read his blog regularly found this to be so for them, as well.

Soon we will be bereft of a fresh perspective, a central clearing-house of 2nd amendment thought, and a resource for the articles which we would have missed if not for his dedication.

Syd, I do hope that you soon tire of the spare time you avail of yourself, and return to the 6-hour Saturdays in which you deliver your wisdom.

Geez! First Heston dies, and next Syd retires?

Quick, hand me the Duct Tape!

No comments: