Thursday, March 01, 2007

USPSA New Rule Book Resources

I've finally completed my evaluation of the proposed USPSA rule book.

I'll decline commenting excessively here, now. I've made comments on at least one of the files to which you will find links below.

The purpose here is to provide you with documentation of the existing rules, the proposed rules, summary of the differences between the two versions and detail (both PDF and DOC format) of the new rules.

I've also made an exhaustive annotated version of the new rules, and both an annotated version including only those rules upon which I have a comment and those rules upon which I have a criticism or a proposed change.

Here are the links to the various rules sets and versions:

  1. The current (2004) version of the USPSA rules in PDF form (1.22mb)
  2. The current (2004) version of the USPSA rules in DOC form (1.33mb)
  3. The proposed (2008) draft of the new USPSA rules in PDF form (1.91mb)
  4. The proposed (2008) draft of the new USPSA rules in DOC form (3.08bm)
  5. A summary of the differences between the two versions in PDF form (15kb)
  6. A summary of the differences between the two versions in DOC form (92kb)
  7. Document with detail citations of deleted, new & changed rules in DOC form (352kb)
  8. Same document as (7), but with my comments/explanations added (411kb)
  9. The same annotated document, but not showing rules without comments (284kb)
  10. That same doccument deleting all comments except suggestions/criticisms (269kb)

The primary purpose of creating the annotated document versions is to facilitate your own understanding of the rules and to foster discussion. The goal is to provide you with the tools and references to provide your own feedback to USPSA via your Area Director.

Note the evolution of the final four documents:

Document (7) merely presents the text of the deleted rules, the text of the changed rules placed together with the existing rule, and the text of the new rules. Some comments are included to identify salient points of interest or to explain certain changes which only result in a reorganization or reformatting of the rules as they are presented in the draft.

Document (8) contains all of the information found in Document (7), but the explanatory comments have been expanded.

Document (9) contains all of the information found in Document (8), plus my comments evaluating the individual rules. Note that, by the use of highlighting, I have attempted to identify those parts of the original rule which have been changed or deleted, and the new verbiage (which often consist of entire new sentences, perhaps introducing new concepts or changing the meaning of the rule in whole or in part.) I even found a typo, which I high-lighted and identified by the phrase (sic) Consider this the Geek Comments document.

Document (10) contains all of the information found in Document (9), except those changes which I consider non-controversial or not needing comment in Document (9) have been deleted. This was created to minimize the amount of text necessary to identify changes/additions which I wish to draw to the attention of my Area Director. Consider this the Geek Lite Comments document.

In appreciation of a caution from my Area Director, note that the three PDF documents are copies of those authored by USPSA, who owns the copyright (they are reproduced here as a courtesy and a convenience, with my thanks to USPSA.)

The three *.DOC (MS-WORD formatted) files are converted from these PDF files, and USPSA owns the copyright of the contents. I only own the converted files, which are not copyrightable.

The remaining four documents contain USPSA rules, but my own comments are copyrightable.

You are invited to download these documents for your evaluation, and may copy my comments --- they are usually identified by special formatting such as color and font styles for emphasis, etc.. I only ask that you not change the text without noting your own changes, and that any references acknowledge my authorship where applicable.

(All files Copyright Cogito Ergo Geek - jerrythegeek.blogspot.com - 2007)

Please notify me of any broken links, my email address is always available at the bottom of the page. I have tested all of the links, and it is my belief that they all function correctly.

No comments: