Tuesday, August 08, 2006

Wright's Reactive Targets

JerrytheGeek's Shooting Gallery: Wright's Reactive Targets (*R&R Racing*)

While at the 2006 Multi-Gun National Championships, I visited the vendor tent.

I didn't get past the front door, even though I was curious about the vendors because I helped set up the vendor tables while I was doing penance as Match Gofer.

Free Image Hosting at www.ImageShack.usAs I approached the tent, I saw Bobby Wright ( R&R Racing) fussing with his target displays.

Free Image Hosting at www.ImageShack.usWe had talked during the Match Set-up days, and he mentioned that he wanted me or somebody to write an article for the USPSA Front Sight Magazine about his business. He has been providing targets, free gratis, to various Major Matches in Area 1 (including USPSA National Champion Matches in Bend, and this MGNats match) for some time, and would like to reap the benefit of some advertising from his efforts and contribution.

Free Image Hosting at www.ImageShack.usI've been shooting at Wright's R&R Racing Targets (and tripping over the 'foot trap', which initiates reactive targets) for some years, and as a competitor I can say that they are very challenging and completely reliable. Whether or not I contribute to a magazine article, I wanted to take a look at the complete product line if only to see what deviltry Bobby has been up to.
More likely, to be completely honest, to see what fiendish device I'm likely to face in the coming competition season.

Of course, I had my trusty Geek Digital Camera on my belt; Geeks don't carry slide rules on their belts any more, they we carry cell phones, pagers and/or digital cameras.

Free Image Hosting at www.ImageShack.usI asked him if he had some free time to walk me through his display, and he did. As he showed me the target arrays he had built, I asked him questions and snapped pictures of the targets he was talking about.

Free Image Hosting at www.ImageShack.usWhen he finished, I said: "you know, if you just wrote down all that you said to me, you would have your Front Sight Magazine article and you could publish it yourself."

He replied: "I can't tell you what I just said. I can say it, but I can't remember it to write it down."

Sounds reasonable to me.


Free Image Hosting at www.ImageShack.usI don't know yet if I'm going to write an article for Bobby, but I did build a photo gallery album from the pictures , and I described the features of his various target arrays as I went along. you can see the entire set of photos as a sub-album of the Multi-Gun Nationals album.

Free Image Hosting at www.ImageShack.usA note of caution: the photos you see there are thumbnails, and easily viewed even if you have a dial-up connection with [boo] [hiss!] AOL. But the photos are also available full-size, at about 2mb per shot, and if you want to see them up close and personal it may take some time to download them. (And the two videos I shot, while interesting) are five or ten megabytes ... you want a high-speed internet connection to download them, if you don't want to time out on your phone line.)

I do this as a service to Bobby, so that if someone else writes an article about his wonderful reactive targets he can shop the accompanying images as well. I renounce all copywrights copyrights to the photos. as far as I am concerned, they are public property. I say this not because the photos are badly done, but because I want to encourage proliferation of these diabolic clever devices. EVERYBODY who competes in USPSA should such durable, inventave and challenging targets.

When you see the pictures, you'll want to buy the targets.

UPDATE: August 9, 2006
I received an email from Bobby today, with more information.
I have supplied two pistol nationals in Bend, all of the Area 1 3gun matches including the one in Marysville WA, and 3 gun nationals. My list of client's are the FBI, Department of Energy, First Group Army Special Forces, and lots of private ranges and law inforcement. My rifle selfsetters have been used in every major 3 gun match. When I build a product it breaks down for easy transport and lasts for years. My repeat customers buy more targets because they want more targets not because they wore out. I think that being a shooter helps me design a better target. I also supplied the 3 gun nats in Reno.

No comments: