Thursday, June 29, 2006

Dillon is my friend. I think

Several weeks ago I phoned Dillon asking to return the electronic ear protectors (which I had bought from them) for repair or replacement, on warranty.

I have had the muffs for 2 or 3 years; they were a gift from SWMBO. I liked them, but eventually the trunnions on both muffs (you know, the part that the hangers hook onto, with the little pin that keeps falling out) broke off. Not all of them, just one on each muff. That happened on the same day, I guess. I don't know. They were fine when I put them in my bag, but when I pulled them out at the match the were both broken.

I suspect that I caused the damage. I was running out of the little pins that keep falling out, so I used some Loc-Tite (red) to install my last two spares. I guess the plastic doesn't like loc-tite (red).

When I called Dillon, the helpful customer-service guy said they were running short on parts. He didn't know if he could repair them, but if I returned him they would take a look at them. If the had the parts to repair them, they would. If they didn't have the parts, they would keep my muffs for parts and sell me a new set for the low-low price of only $85.

The were worth zilch to me in that condition, so I said sure, you betch, sounds like a great deal.

I dithered for a couple of weeks, then I caught a bad chest cold and wasn't going anywhere for a couple of days. SWMBO came by to bring me cold medicine and asked if there was anything more she could do for me.

Such a caring, solicitous lady.

Quick to take advantage of her kindly nature, I said "Well, now that you mention it, there is one little thing."

I grabbed the unsealed box I had thrown the muffs into, along with the Dillon's catalog on which I had written the Authorized Return Number, explained what I was giving her and asked if she would please, PLEASE send them to Dillon for me.

She smiled sweetly ... well, what else could she do, she asked ... and said "why sure, honey. Anthing I can do to help a poor, sickly Geek."

Yeah, she calls me Geek, too. Well, not all the time.

Free Image Hosting at www.ImageShack.usI don't know how long those muffs laid around her house. I last saw them a couple of weeks ago. But today, when I got home from work, I found a little brown package from Dillon (via Fed-Ex) on my doorstep.

Anxiously opening the box, I found .... this.


Image Hosted by ImageShack.usWhat I had SENT them, was ... this.

Well, it was the black ones and they weren't nearly in such good condition. But it definately included two muffs, and headstrap and wires and hangers.

The single muff is worth a lot more than what I sent them (functional, except they wouldn't stay on my head), and I'm really grateful for their fast service and cheerful no-bullshit warranty.

It's just that I was kind of expecting to see an entire set of ear protectors in the box.

I don't mind paying for the replacement. But I'm a little confused about what they expect me to do with one, single, blue muff.

I'm a little apprehensive about calling them to ask that question. Maybe they know I'm a Geek. In that case, their answer might be a little ... physically unlikely?

But call them I will. I'm pretty sure they'll explain that it was a mix-up in the shipping department. A failure to communicate, if you will. Probably, somebody said "Ship an HP earmuff to The Geek", and they guy they were talking to thought "mmm, okay, an earmuf it is".

After all, that's exactly what I got.

I just hope that nobody calls me "Geek" while I'm talking to them.

It isn't easy, being Geek.
Free Image Hosting at www.ImageShack.us

UPDATE:
I talked to Dillon, and there was apparently a missed communication between the Returns Department and the Shipping Department.

What they had intended to send me was a complete replacement set of HP1 earmuffs. Not a new set, but one mostly reconstructed from returned/functional components. I don't know, the single muff I received looked like brand new. They will send me the headstrap and the other muff (probably was shipped out last Friday, I may receive it by the end of the week). I'll have to hang the single muff on the other side of the head strap, but it's still under warranty and the cost to me was . . . nothing. Nil, zip, nada, not a single penny. Not even for shipping.

I guess Dillon IS Still My Friend!

No comments: