Wednesday, January 18, 2006

Hydro Shok!

My brother-in-law, bless his heart, once shot himself through the hand with my pellet gun.

I had left it lying around in my room (this was a LONG time ago, when I was in high-school and still living with my parents), and he had picked it up in an idle moment and, while talking on the phone, pointed the muzzle at the palm of his hand and pulled the trigger. Apparently, he wanted to see what the CO2 air discharge felt like. Well, he was distracted.

When he got back from the hospital emergency room, his only comment to me was that he couldn't believe I would leave a loaded gun just laying around.

Well, believe it. My gun, my room, your hand. Not mutually compatible.

There's nothing new about this story. When people start making assumptions about guns, and especially when they handle guns when they're distracted or "just not thinking", Bad Things Can Happen.

Tonight, I received an email from the Unofficial IPSC List describing such an incident.

His name is Rich Timm. He has been shooting for 27 years of his 32-year life. ONE time he got impatient when he was checking his gun "to see if it needed cleaning", and put a 135 grain .40 S&W Hydra-Shok round though the palm of his hand. That's gonna hurt a lot more than a .22 soft-lead pellet.

Here is the PDF which (apparently) he authored. Warning of "graphic images", which means there are photos taken in the emergency room of the hospital showing the small, bruised-looking entry wound and the back of his hand being . . . missing.

Money Quote:
The wound was the result of complacency.


Be careful out there.

No comments: