Wednesday, September 28, 2005

Comcast is UP!

Finally!

I have a new Internet Provider. No more dependence on the irascible AOL connection.

There will be a few days delay in setting up separate email accounts for my various activities (not least because we're still spending all of our spare time getting SWMBO moved in), but I should be changing the email address for this weblog soon.

In the meantime, I have a couple of hours scheduled today for trying out my new hi-speed internet connections. Vroom!

After I become more familiar with the capabilities of the Comcast service, I will be making some minor changes. I don't know what all of them will be, yet, but as I establish new fancy internet options I'll be announcing them here.

One of my priorities is to establish online file hosting, so I can make a few of the many IPSC videos available. Right now, I understand there is a 25mb limit to storage. This is clearly inadequate to my needs in the long term, as some of the videos I wish to share are seven to ten mb in size. I'm hoping to get up to 5GB established, and even then the videos will probably be available for a limited period of time as I replace them with newer/more interesting/more pertinent videos.

This will not be a feature that is universally useful. Having spent my entire online life under the crushing burden of slow modem access, I'm painfully aware that downloading anything much more than 1 or 2mb is just not worth the effort. However, for those who do have hi-speed access, download Geek videos should be no more difficult than that encountered at hosercam, for example.

I'll keep you advised.

2 comments:

Anonymous said...

Hey Jer, doesn't ComCast allow 25mb PER USER, and can't you have up to 7 users PER ACCOUNT?

Just asking.

Rivrdog

Jerry The Geek said...

Rivrdog,
You're right, you get x mb of storage per user . . . but they use that to archive your email.

Also, you can use a utility of theirs called "PHOTO CIRCLE" to upload your photos INCLUDING the *.mpg videos.

The only problem is that Photo Circle mixes all of your files up instead of preserving your folder hierarchy, the file-management function sucks a big greek Kielbasa, and there are no URL addresses available to reference.

Oh, and nobody else can see your online photos.

It's like Aliens. You know . . . "In COMCAST, nobody can hear you scream!"