Wednesday, January 30, 2013

"Stick shift? WTF?

Florida thieves forced to shift gears during Corvette carjacking | Fox News:
A Florida Corvette owner said he was almost carjacked at gunpoint, but the would-be thieves ran away because they couldn't figure out how to drive his car.
Randolph Bean was sitting in his bright yellow Corvette when two men took him by surprise, ..... Bean said the two came from behind, and he "barely caught them in the mirror."
According to the police report, one of the men had a gun. "He started yanking on the door and made me open the door. He kind of flung it open and dragged me out and demanded that I get on the ground... face down, so I couldn't look at him, of course," Bean told MyFoxOrlando.com.
Bean, 51, said one of the thieves pointed a gun at him while asking how to use the car. "They apparently couldn't start it," Bean said. "I had to tell him four different times to push in the clutch, because it's a standard transmission." The suspects reportedly gave up and ran away, leaving Bean on the ground. Police tried searching for the suspects, but they took off.
I have to laugh.

About a decade ago, my son came to visit me (he was in his late teens) and we decided to go shopping for .. something which was important to my son.  I dis-remember.  Not important, except that he really wanted to go there and do that.

So I made him drive my car .. a Mazda 686, at the time.  Cute little car, crappy seat-belt system, and a four-speed stick shift.

Poor little Mazda never got so badly beat up.  Ben didn't miss a gear; he ground every damn one of them.  I swear, if I hadn't told him where each gearshift position was, he would never have got out of first gear ... after he finally found it (we're talking ten minutes or so, I kid you not.)

Ben  had never driven a stick shift, and he refused to drive it back home. Or ever again.  He has since gone into the Nave and I have no idea whether he has been taught how to drive a stick there, even though he is now a Petty Officer and a Master-At-Arms. (Doesn't the Navy teach cops how to cope?)

It's probably rude of me to make fun of my own much-beloved son, but .. really?

My thought is that it's probably a really good thing that my son is determined to make a career in Law Enforcement.

He'd never make it as a car-jacker.

PS:  No, he's never been near Florida.

NOTE TO PARENTS:  If you feel you absolutely HAVE to laugh at your kid, do it before he completes his training as a Navy Master-at-Arms.  Even if you don't think that's in his future ... you never know.  The kid will definitely kick your ass, one of these days ....
... just saying.

1 comment:

Anonymous said...

Unfortunately, times have changed. I have several revolvers that I love to shoot. Some of the younger shooters at the range think a revolver is a real oddity. I could show up with a long bow and get almost the same reaction.